Sub with B&W 685s - what level until worth it?

simonoaks

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Currently running 2.0 onkyo 805 with BW 685s bi-amped.

To me, there is a whole load of bass, in fact sometimes too much, however, thinking of getting a sub. Therefore can anyone tell me what entry level I should look at to make it worth while.

For instance, I am guessing a budget £100 sub will add nothing to these good quality fronts, however, would a Gemini add anything. Or, should I be look at Monolith level before any value is found?

cheers

You will add something with a Gemini, for a start removing some if the bass from your speakers may reduce the overblown effects and even a Gemini will probably do the lower extremities better. Given what you have though I'd say the Monolith is going to do your system the justice it deserves. With a Gemini you'll probably feel the bass is a little better, with a Monolith the difference will produce 'WOW' smiles, especially on films were the is a lot more LFE content. With music, your speakers should improve a little as the sub take the strain out of producing the low bass tones.

Thanks, been looking at the Monolith all the while, but wanted 2 months with new kit before getting a sub, so I can gradually apprecite each upgrade.

Just trying to talk myself out of spending so much, particularly as current setup already brings a smile to my face (but previous was just crt tv with inbuilt speakers) so it would do :) . I think if I do get a sub, I am going to have to go to classifieds and advertise "wanted: someone to set up my 2.1 audio", haven't seen such an ad before....but sure it is ok to do so.

Why spend so much money then not have it set up properly?

I know nothing about audio, but I get a feeling more could be got from current setup, by just tweeking speakers and amp, let alone adding a monolith, whereby I really would need help. Do you think someone would do this simple (to them) integration for £50-100?

cheers

Properly setting up a system can vary from being simple to being complicated it really depends on how problematic your room is. Your amp has Audyssey auto EQ so that will do a lot of the work for you and you dont really need to worry about it after that. If you need help with that we can do that on here. Once you have got yourself to that stage you could then look into sub EQ'ing and the pro and cons of doing that.

Its not to difficult to buy an SPL meter and download REW to take some of your own measurements. Then from there you can decide if anything further is needed or even wanted and it wont cost the earth to do that.

I think once you add a sub, and Audyssey sets everything up for you, you can then give yourself some time to see what you make of the results and if you feel you need to start tweaking. You can use pure audio for music and see how that effects things so it is really a trial and error process you need to let runs its course IMO. Someone could come and do it for you but you'll learn a lot more by going through the process yourself. Of course if your not really the type of person that wants to trawl through that process then thats fine, we can help you with that.

One thing I will add, is that when ever Ive added a sub to a system that doesnt have one, it just seems to open up the sound stage. You seem to be able to pinpoint higher frequency sounds better and everything just seems that little bit less cluttered. Its really quite remarkable the effect adding a sub seems to have beyond just reinforcing bass, and I'll be very interested to see if you find the same thing.

Let us know what you go for and what you think when its up and running :smashin:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,

I think I will go for the Monolith DF, might as well do it properly.

I have never done the Onkyo Audessey set up with the mike, as I have the system as 2.0 I do not think it lets you do that.

Think you are right, probably worth having a go myself (with lots of help from here, no doubt)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom