Sub wanted velodyne/B&W

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by flyingfridge, Jan 21, 2008.

1. flyingfridge

flyingfridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

Firstly, I have to say I am very happy with my system. (see sig for hifi system)

However, with some genres of music I feel I am lacking in low end bass.
    I have heard a sub integrated into a hifi setup similar to mine and have to say I was very impressed. I would also use this in my home cinema setup in the long run.

Firstly I haven't had much experience with high end amps so was just checking that it would connect OK with my NAC202/NAP200 pre and power.

Secondly which amps have people heard and would recommend, preferably for hifi.

For an idea of price range I would be looking at B&W ASW825/855(s/h), DD12

Thanks,

Fred

2. flyingfridge

flyingfridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From looking around on the forums I also really like the look of the SVS PB13 Ultra.

Firstly would this connect OK to my hi-fi system?

Also where can I demo one ?

Cheers

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Fred

I'm not sure about the newer Naim amps but the olive fascia amps had no suitable line level output socket to drive a subwoofer. The connection signal level must vary with the volume setting on the preamp.

I finally obtained a suitable connection by buying a Naim Hicap power supply. It was necessary to use a specially made cable from Flashback Cables in the UK. The company owner has a great deal of expertise in manufacturing special cables to order. Their prices are very affordable indeed.

The PB13 Ultra sub has an enviable international reputation and seems to have enough speed for music as well as the power to match the most demanding film needs.

4. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Nimby's mostly right on this, but many say you're better off using the high-level speaker inputs, which will work fine with your Naims.

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    I might have agreed with you a couple of years ago. I ran my SVS subwoofer using high level connections for a couple of years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of power and warmth but there is a also a lot of mud in the bass from most speakers. The subwoofer output is always overlapping the puny speakers' ability to reproduce real bass.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to roll off the speakers at 80Hz in the context of a normal stereo system unless you buy an active crossover. On advice I chose the inexpensive CX2310 from Behringer and wouldn't go back to full range speakers now.

I gained a lot of detail, much finer renditioning of small dynamic changes and much better imagary. My system just sounded much more real. The subwoofer can reproduce bass up to and well over 100Hz with vanishingly small amounts of distortion compared with a typical loudspeaker. Deprived of the task of controlling the speaker cones the stereo amplifier is liberated. You get the advantages of bi-amping without the usual high cost. The speakers are protected from possible damage at high listening levels as the stereo amplifier is much less likely to distort or even go into clipping. Most of the demands placed on an amplifier come from trying to play the bass. So why even try to play bass with the stereo system when you have hundreds of watts available in the active subwoofer? :)

6. milesr3

milesr3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    After repeatedly stating that music sounded better in direct stereo through my 'full range' floorstanding fronts I have to eat a slice of humble pie and concur 100% with your observations now that I've got a decent sub in the system (Rythmik Audio Servo) :rolleyes:. The improvements to imaging were most noticeable, but the atmosphere that a frequency response down to 12.5Hz (-3dB) brings is startling. At higher listening levels the improved detail and lack of muddiness becomes noticeable.

The Rythmik might also be worth considering if you've got the DD12 on your list, if music is a priority and you're reasonably handy with the power tools.