1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub volume levels

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Andywilliams, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi folks
    I was wondering what everyone else has there sub volume set at .Ive had 3subs yamaha cheapo rel q150e and now b&w asw675.Ive never been able to turn any of these up more than 2notches and have always had plenty of bass it just seems odd having all that volume left but never using it.I have read on this forum were some folk run there sub volumes at 10 oclock and above rather confusing and my room isnt tiny(16'x14').
    Gonzo:)

2. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I turn my Kef sub up to the max (as recommended by Kef) but lower the o/p from my amp by say -5.

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi brox
    I too control bass output from my amp and still have to lower it from 2notches eg mtv on sky has a lot more bass than dvd so i have to notch it down mybe -6 on the amps sub control even though the subs only set at 2notches to start with .
    gonzo:confused:

4. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Instead of having -6 on your amp, Why don't you try leaving the sub volume on the amp to 0 and turn the sub master volume level down a little?

It works out the same.

5. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    I have a Velo. CHT-15 coupled with a Denon 3802. I have the sub channel level on the Amp at -6. The sub volume is at about 3.5.

All channels are set with a SPL meter. Apart from sub channel, where it would be set too low.
    Should i crank things up a bit ?

Cheers
    Kev

6. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The gain on a plate amplifier is not a volume control it is used to match the output of the subwoofer to the input signal level.

Therefour:

A large input signal going into the amp, the gain can be set to 10% or 20% and the amplifier could be at full output.

OR with a low signal going into the amp, the gain can be set to 70% or 80% and the amplifier could be at full output.

7. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    Oh right.............:confused:
    Guess that answers everything !!!

8. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I leave my subwoofer channel level on the Amp at 0dB and have the subs volume level adjusted until it reads 75dB on the SPL meter.

It doesn't matter whether you have your sub channel level on the Amp at -6. If it reads 75dB on the SPL meter, then thats all that counts - provided all your the rest of your speakers measures at 75dB of course!

9. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I worry less about keeping the sub in trim with an SPL than i do about how it sounds to my ear. That said, i do use an SPL once i'm happy with the sound...so that if my boy starts making his own changes i can easily reset the amp/sub. I've set different subs at SPLs anything from 0bB to +9dB with reference to the other speakers...perhaps i should get the cotton buds out more often! ;)

I think the dolby digital specs allow for subs running upto 10dB over the other speakers...not sure about DTS.

spence

10. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    If i did that, the sub wouldn't be turned on !!! I'd have to turn it down that much.
    I do like to feel a wallop though. It's good right now but, i get the feeling it could be better !

Kev

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But do SPL meters measure the sound from the subwoofer correctly?

Even with the subwoofer set quite loud, it's still below the same value of the other speakers.

If I set to 75db on all, then put on Toy Story 2 intro- the subwoofer almost blows up!!

Nathan

12. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Are you sure you're measuring dB C?

Using dB A might result in the effect you're describing...as this tends to roll off towards the lower end of the frequency band.

spence

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup. The default setting when switching it on is C weighting.

I set the subwoofer by ear instead. Subwoofer is set to 80hz.

14. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Must be some sub...the only one that's shaken my fillings set flat with the rest of the speakers is Eric's HGS!
    Still like you i set by ear, then just make a note once i've tweaked for a week or so what the SPL is...to save all the hassle again.

Out of interest how much lower is your sub set than the rest of the speakers?

spence

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Charging the batteries, will do a check tomorrow..

On my procssor the channels are +12, +11, +12, +12, +12, +5.

+11 is the centre, +5 is the subwoofer.

I need to set like this otherwise at full power (0 dB), it's loud, but it hasn't got enough steps left in case I want it a bit louder..

If I remember right, the SPL level at that is 91 dB, so I just set all to 91dB.

Nathan

16. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I configure my sub to 75dB at 00dB using avia and have notice that this gives by far the most consistent LFE output on all dvd movies. When you say that you put on Toy Story 2 intro and the subwoofer almost blows up!! are you playing the movie at reference level? Cause when I play play the same intro using my sub, it sounds about right and not exagerated.

Obviously there are some dvd movies which has overly exagerated bass - AOTC, Lord Of The Rings, The Haunting, Titan AE DTS (Ice Rings) - and I'm sure some here we agree with me on these examples.

BTW, what sub are you using and what amp/processor?

17. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Subwoofer is a Rel Storm V1, Processor is a Denon AVD-2000.

Main problem discs are Toy Story 2 (when the logo slams onto the screen), Titan AE.

The calibration level doesn't have to be 75dB, it can be anything, as long as they're all the same.

Nathan

18. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yes, I completely agree that provided all speakers and sub are calibrated to the same volume level, then thats all that counts but to a certain extent.

If you tried calibrating all your speakers to 65dB using your amps test tones but then tried to turn up the amps volume so that the test tone reads 85dB on the SPL meter, you will notice that certain speakers will be off by 1 or 2 decibels.

19. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    You want to be calibrating to 85db if you are using AVIA otherwise 0db on your amp will not equate to Reference Level.

Peak levels for playback are 105db for the main channels and 115db for the LFE channel. AVIA is recorded at -20db i.e
    105db - 20db = 85db.

If you use the internal test tones or Video Essentials (recorded at -30db) then you would balance to 75db. i.e 105db - 30db = 75db.

20. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Whoops, my mistake. I've rechecked my calibrations and it does read 85dB at 00dB on the SPL meter on all speakers :blush:

21. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But you don't have to listen at reference level- you listen to what you want!

The volume control isn't on or off!

22. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Some thing sounds odd.
    I used the Storm set to around +1dB with respect to the rest of the speakers...but, even at reference level, it never showed any signs of "blowing up". I think my brother runs his around 10dB over the rest of the speakers...it's gives the rib cage a good working over...but doesn't seem to tax the Storm at all.

spence

23. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Storm handles everything else- it's just them two discs, the bass channel is screwed up.

If I calibrated say 75dB for all, put on First Contact- it sounds fine. But the Toy Story 2 logo and Titan AE intros the .1 channel is wrong I'm sure- just too high- the sub bottoms out.

24. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Ah..ok...assuming we're talking Region1... i'll check out the TS2 logo...tonight and report back.

25. Harold Corbet

Harold Corbet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't have an spl meter. I just set up so that the sub is not overpowering. Works for me.

26. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230

Just to report all seemed ok here with TS2 and the sub set at the same levels as the rest of the speakers.

27. Brannigan

Brannigan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a tricky one this, I have my system set at 70db as setting it any higher and my sub woofer starts to make funny noises, so my volume readings will be way out compared to yours, have my volume about half way between min and max, well a little more towards the min than the max. Would love to be able to afford one of the power buys subs, may be one day.

BTW, don't copy my settings as it will mess up your sound. ;)

28. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have my processor's LFE channel at 0 and my sub (HGS15) needs a mere 11-12% of it's maximum to attain a 75dB SPL reading. On these settings, at a fair bit below reference levels the sub can actually make the floor upstairs move! Not vibrate, but move slowly up and down :eek:

God knows what it would do if I turned it up to half volume :confused:

There is a list of corrections for the Radioshack SPL meter - see this link: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22535&highlight=correction

You need to know what frequency your test tones are of course but generally the sub should be slightly lower on the SPL meter - in my case it is 76dB for the satellites and 73dB for the sub.

Matt.