Sub Upgrade?

eatstatic

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am currently running a yamaha yst-sw150 (getting on a bit now) in conjuntion with mission 773e fronts, 771e sides, 77ds rears with 77c entre.
I am using a denon 3802 reciever and 2900 dvd player.

What I am thinking of doing is changing the sub for somthing that is more of an all rounder for music and films. Type of music is varied so would need to take into considereation all tastes.

As I have spent most of my cash recently budget is going to be a bit tight so I am looking to spend between £200-£300 max and been considering a second hand rel100e.

Can anyone tell me if this is going in the right direction as subwoofers are a bit of ? with me.
:blush:

Had read somthing about BK Electronics having an XLS200 which falls into price range but I know very little about them. How would this compare?

Cheers for any advice.

eatstatic.

I have not heard the BK XLS200 but by all accounts are equivalent if not better than the Rel Q201E
For your kind of budget I think that may be one of your best options, and will certainly out perform the Yamaha.

The Q100 was an excellent sub in it's day but the youngest will now be a few years old. If Home Cinema were the priority I would suggest that the REL Q100 be a good upgrade but if you listen to music I would suggest that the BKE XLS is a better buy, especially as you would get a warranty with it.

In the days before REL had their own manufacturing facilities, BK Electronics actually made the Q100 for REL so they have considerable expertise in that area

Stellavision + Ian J,

Cheers for the replies. How come you don't hear too much about BK electronics? Or is it just that I don't know much about them?

Ian J,

I think it is going to be a difficult one to call as music was my main priorty, however home cinema seems to be winning out at the moment but maybe only by a small margin ..... sort of a 60/40 split.

What would be the better performer regardless of the warranty etc?

Sort of leaning towards the BK as it stands now (but I have become confused).

Thanks,

eatstatic.

Originally posted by eatstatic
How come you don't hear too much about BK electronics?

They are mainly an OEM manufacturer building subwoofers for a variety of well known companies that would prefer you to think that they actually made them themselves.

Making and selling subs to the general public is a small sideline and we all benefit as there is no retailer's margin, no advertising or promotional costs to pay for and we end up paying £279 for something that is almost identical to a well known name's sub that carries an £800 price tag

Ian what is a good sub for 279 that would equate to an 800 pound sub from someone else?

regards

Parmenion

Originally posted by Parmenion
Ian what is a good sub for 279 that would equate to an 800 pound sub from someone else?

The BK Electronics XKLS200

Ian J,

Ahh! That old chestnut with who made? what name? (and price bump) etc.

Gordon,

Like it lots!:D

Suppose it is one way to make point.:smoke:

Just want the best sub for myself for the money chaps.
What is everyone elses opinion with the choice from the above?

I see I had been 'confussed' before (sort that out with an edit.......and done) now I am only confused.

eatstatic.

What happened to the other posts?:confused:

Forgot to mention that the size of my room is not all that big approx 4m wide x 4.5 long and I have neighbours with young children.

Will the subs mentioned be a little too much in the circumstances as I had not realy thought too much about it till now.

eatstatic.

just done a google search for the BK XLS200 you have mentioned but no show :-(

i am in the market for a new sub and like wise I have an olf yamaha sub, I have been looking at the rel Q150 to wack my budget is £500

i have also listern to a B&W one around the £600 mark but no sure which way to go. This BK sounds interesting, but as I said google turned up nothing. Been told that the 150 is better than the 100 (other than it being more money) oh and the guy was going to throw in a 9/10m QED cable in aswell :)

Any further advice?

The web site is http://www.bkelec.com/ but you should find quite a few threads here concerning this sub with most views being positive.

I very much doubt whether most people would agree that the Q150 was a better sub than the Q100 as most seem to agree that the newer sub was a retrograde step.

As a matter of interest the Q100 was actually made by BK Electronics on behalf of REL whilst the newer sub is now made by REL themselves.

many thanks!

I have also been advice that the M J Acoustics Reference 100 is better than the Rel q150. I'll take a look at the site you posted many thanks.

Just to back up the comments by Ian J above for the price the BK XLS200 is great. My first sub was a Mission 70ASE which I thought was great. Decided to upgrade and took the advice/ comments of other members and went for the XLS200.
I can't believe the difference! Its great with music, its like having a whole new CD collection to listen to and movies are excellent. Where my previous sub was forcing the sound the XLS200 just seems to integrate the sound for a great listening experience.

I've no regrets over buying it, and the service from BK was first class. Hope this helps in your decision.

Dipman :rotfl: :rotfl: :smashin:

certainly does, I am going to order one tonight...

spoke to a lady there today who seemed very nice and helpful

Anyone want to buy an old yamaha sub ;-)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom