1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub upgrade - should I, shouldn't I, help??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rscott4563, Jul 28, 2004.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've currently got a KEF PSW2000 subwoofer, the one that comes with the Egg setup. Now I have been quite happy with this for some time now I feel that it may be the right time for an upgrade as I no longer use the KEF Eggs, but have moved on to the Q1's and Q9c front stage, so maybe its time to move away from the midwoofer like PSW2000 to a real SUBwoofer which can actually produce some really low frequencies.

I'm considering the KEF TDM45B THX Subwoofer, does anyone have any experience of this and if so what do you think, is it a good sub?
    Also I've read the stats and its got a stated frequency response of 35Hz to 150Hz and is a 15" forward firing closed box sub, but I've seen it stated that the TDM45B can produce as low as 15Hz??? The stats stated above are from the KEF website and they are the same as for the PSW2000 which I've already got, surely this can't be right can it, the PSW2000 only has a 8" downward firing driver in a ported box, yet it has the same claimed frequency response, the only difference being that the TDM45B has a 300W amp and the PSW2000 has a 250W amp. So is the TDM45B really sooo much better???

Any comments welcomed. :lease:

Cheers

Ryan :thumbsup:

2. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also just to add, my use is about 80% movies and 20% or less music.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Hi Ryan,

As it's my sub in the classifieds your considering, I'll try not to be biased in anyway.

The 45B is extreamly capable and powerful, but at its original RRP (£800), there are deeper, more musical subs around.
    I've used test tones and an SPL metre to measure the frequency response, and in my room it starts to tail off around 27Hz.... which suprised me.
    It's also an oddly conservative spec considering it carries THX certification.

I doubt your existing sub could hope to keep pace with it, but if you're after even deeper bass with the same presence and power, you'd be better off looking elesewhere... but you'd need to double your budget at least.

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the honest appraisal, its much appreciated.

To be honest I wasn't really in the market for a new sub, but as I came across your at such a resonable price for a THX certified sub I just figured it might be my chance to get a low cost upgrade. Checking the THX website it does state that a sub with THX cetification has to be able to put out 105dB with a flat response down to 20Hz, so your sub should give me much more low down thud than my PSW2000 could possibly be capable of, 15" versus 8" shouldn't be a contest.

Really my question is will the TDM45B be better in everyway than my PSW2000 (or will it be worse in some areas??) and most importantly is there a better sub for £250???

Cheers

Ryan :thumbsup:

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is a very good sub for £250 which should be better in all ways than the one that you currently have. I believe that the THX certification is for two subs running together and the figures of 15Hz are probably in room using all the help that the room will give it.