1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub upgrade from Rel Quake

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by alfieginger, Aug 15, 2005.

1. alfieginger

alfieginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having listened to a friends set up recently I've realised that my Quake Sub isn't powerfull enough for my 20' x 12' room and I now want harder hitting deeper bass!!

Any suggestions on a potential ugrade ?, budget is what ever I get back from the sale of the Rel plus around another £300 - £400. Space is not a big issue so the new sub could be a fair bit bigger than the quake.

The Sub is mainly used for movies and is to run with Monitor Audio radius surround speakers.

Thanks all, any suggestions gratefully received.

2. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B.K. Monolith? I've been recommended that and they are giving 50% off the best spikes that come with the set. 420 quid with some super duper spikes.

Look about at my YSP-1 post and they summarised some of the current offerings.

3. alfieginger

alfieginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, anyone with a BK Monolith able to comment on it's performance. I've seen that it's not particularly expensive, any views anyone ?

4. MarekFIN

MarekFIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Monolith is very good. The best new sub for movies you can get in your price range, without a doubt. For fun I took mine to my dad's house in the country and demonstrated it with Master and Commander. He was very impressed. Now for the first time he understood what a subwoofer is, and why I have been talking about it for weeks.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If space isn't an issue the BK Monolith looks to be ideal ( although I haven't heard it) or anything from the SVS range of subs which you may notice are highly regarded by forum members.

My own recommendation would be the 20-39 PC Plus cylinder which is probably about £650 and has performance levels that are difficult to match for that budget.

I've had mine for two years and still love it.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    If you can push to the £650 for the SVS 20-39 PC Plus, it would be the one to go for, otherwise the BK Monolith at £400 is an absolute steal :)

Do not let anyone try to tell you that the BK Monolith is a better sub than the big SVS ones, it's good, great in fact, but the big SVS cylinders are in a different league (I may be the only person to have heard the Monolith and a big SVS cylinder in the same room side by side). If £400 is the limit though, there isn't anything I've heard at that price point to touch the BK Monolith.

7. alfieginger

alfieginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, anyone got the address of the SVS? website if there is one !

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    www.svsubwoofers.com should do the trick.

Very helpful and very fast responses to any questions you might have.

9. alfieginger

alfieginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SVS looks very interesting and I know I said size wasn't 'too' much of an issue but how do I go about meeting WAF with a three and a half foot tall oil drum ??

10. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    has anyone experiece with the monolith and the pb10 ?? they seem interesting rivals - no!?

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    That's "only" the SVS PC-Ultra though which is similarly in a different league to the lesser SVS models being described here. :)

12. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,365
    If you want an svs and don't get your order in quick you may be forced to order from a soon to be announced UK distributor.

This has two possibilities, UK demo facilities/warranties as advantage against unknown new UK prices at the moment.

I can't imagine the new prices will be a direct conversion from US $ price to UK £ price at the current currency conversion rate + just allowing for cost of shipping + vat and import duty.