Sub upgrade advice.

mij

Hi, I have one of the first REL Quakes and want to upgrade the bass whilst keeping it's small size (can go a bit bigger, but not too much).

I use the Rel Quake with a set of KEF KHT2005.2 speakers and a Marantz SR5500 receiver which sounds nice with music but seems to lack something with movies.

What should I be looking at?

Thanks
Jim

badbob

Banned
Budget? Velodyne and Sunfire product a few small sealed box subs, but they're not cheap.

sounds nice with music but seems to lack something with movies.
I would say the reverse, I've heard Kef Eggs and they're lacking for music since they're satellites. If it's lacking bass, then Quake which isn't that great.

mij

Budget? Velodyne and Sunfire product a few small sealed box subs, but they're not cheap.

I would say the reverse, I've heard Kef Eggs and they're lacking for music since they're satellites. If it's lacking bass, then Quake which isn't that great.
I don't have a budget but cannot go much larger with the sub.

badbob

Banned
Sunfire True Signature is £2500. I think it's a sealed box 12", so something like 13/14" cubed.

No way you can get a Rel Quake sized sub with world class bass.

mij

Sunfire True Signature is £2500. I think it's a sealed box 12", so something like 13/14" cubed.

No way you can get a Rel Quake sized sub with world class bass.
Thanks. Never heard of Sunfire, they have smaller subs than the Quake, Will have to find somewhere to demo.

BTW, I am not after or expect to get world class bass with a sub this small. I am just hoping that small subs have improved since I got the Quake, hopefully to a level that they can deliver good quality controlled bass.

Any others I should demo?

Conrad.

Thanks. Never heard of Sunfire, they have smaller subs than the Quake, Will have to find somewhere to demo.

BTW, I am not after or expect to get world class bass with a sub this small. I am just hoping that small subs have improved since I got the Quake, hopefully to a level that they can deliver good quality controlled bass.

Any others I should demo?
The velodyne DD range are excellent. I've got a DD10 and I'm getting down well below 18Hz at over 80db in room without any noticable distortion. If I shut the door it's closer to 15Hz.

All that from a box that's about 11" square.

If you can afford a 12", even better. The smaller ones (they do a 15 and 18 as well) don't come up for sale that often, not that I've seen.

mij

I have just been reading about the SVS 25-31PCi and am going to measure up to see if it will fit.

Are there any others I should be looking at

I have had a measure and I can fit either of these "The SB12 Plus & the SVS 25-31PCi" does anyone know where I can demo both?

mij

Probably been asked a thousand times already :rolleyes:

On a scale of 1-10, how much better will either of the above SVS subs be than the Rel Quake?

Andywilliams

I have had a measure and I can fit either of these "The SB12 Plus & the SVS 25-31PCi" does anyone know where I can demo both?
You can demo the above subs at http://www.av-sales.com/ they used to stock sunfire and velodyne so quite a choice.You do have to make an appointment though to demo.
Andy.
PS the rel quake would be annihilated by the above subs no contest.

badbob

Banned
Probably been asked a thousand times already :rolleyes:

On a scale of 1-10, how much better will either of the above SVS subs be than the Rel Quake?
Erm tubes are slightly bigger than Rel Quakes :rotfl: I've heard a Rel Quake, it's not very good. I'd give Quake 2 out of 10. Since I haven't heard a better sub than PC Plus or PC Ultra I couldn't rate them out of 10. But way way higher than the Quake.

I have a PC Ultra 13 and SB12+ If you want reference HT levels get the cylinders or larger ported. The SB12+ is fine for smaller rooms or music systems.

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
I have just been reading about the SVS 25-31PCi and am going to measure up to see if it will fit.

Are there any others I should be looking at
Frankly, if you can accommodate a 13-14" cube there isn't much that won't better a Quake including a few for considerably less money than a new Quake.

Russell

mij

Well it appears that I am going to be in for a treat.

It will be interesting to see how bad the Quake is in comparison.

Erm tubes are slightly bigger than Rel Quakes :rotfl: I've heard a Rel Quake, it's not very good. I'd give Quake 2 out of 10. Since I haven't heard a better sub than PC Plus or PC Ultra I couldn't rate them out of 10. But way way higher than the Quake.

I have a PC Ultra 13 and SB12+ If you want reference HT levels get the cylinders or larger ported. The SB12+ is fine for smaller rooms or music systems.
Not so much wider or deeper is it, and the height is not a problem for my space or have I made a mistake?

I will have to double check the dimensions.

Frankly, if you can accommodate a 13-14" cube there isn't much that won't better a Quake including a few for considerably less money than a new Quake.

Russell
Any better suggestions than the two SVS subs?

Andywilliams

Any better suggestions than the two SVS subs?
If height isnt a problem and the 16" footprint is ok then the svs 20-39pc+ would be a good choice and better the above subs, Having owned the 20-39 i can vouch for its capabilities it would be a vast improvement over the quake. Give avsales a bell and go and demo the svs range you could even take the quake with you.
Andy.

mij

If height isnt a problem and the 16" footprint is ok then the svs 20-39pc+ would be a good choice and better the above subs, Having owned the 20-39 i can vouch for its capabilities it would be a vast improvement over the quake. Give avsales a bell and go and demo the svs range you could even take the quake with you.
Andy.
Thanks Andy, I will look at that as well :smashin:

kingcobbler

Maybe take a look at the Q series of Rel's. I used to have a Q201E and that wasn't bad and that small. I have since moved up to the Q400E and that still only about 14" cubed and packs a punch for its size.

I will be moving to a SVS PC13Ultra in a couple of months so I'll be flogging the Q400E at some point.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom