• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sub upgrade advice - arcam/monitor audios

mcsdan

Hi,

I have Arcam AVR300 with Arcam CD73 and monitor audio RS8's. I currently have a Mission M3AS subwoofer which I am looking to upgrade. I require high and low level input so I can use in stereo direct and also with DVD's(denon 1920)

I have 3 I am thinking of demo'ing as follows:-
1. B&W PV1
2. Rel Strata 5
3. Rel Storm 5

I know that the strata 5 and storm 5 are in different prices but have around a £1k to spend but want to hear the differences with a £5-600 sub woofer and a £1k one.

Are there any others I should demo in the price range? I am more interested in musicality than movies but want a sub that does both.

Thanks for any advice.

Dan

paulst10

Distinguished Member
hi the pv1 wont let you connect both high and low level inputs, but i think the rels do

mcsdan

thanks paulst10.

I saw that the PV1 has both high and low (LFE) inputs but you say that not both at the same time (as per REL)?

I have a REL quake in another smaller room which does both and assumed that the mission, although having the connection for both, doesn't allow both at the same time. The mission was £250 a couple of years back and assumed that is why both can't be connected.

Thanks,
Dan

paulst10

Distinguished Member
mcsdan said:
I saw that the PV1 has both high and low (LFE) inputs but you say that not both at the same time (as per REL)?

yes thats right, when i owned one i rang b&w to ask if i could connect up both ways to the same amp and they said i couldnt as they will conflict.

i know the rels can, best to ask others what other subs can use both before purchasing :)

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
the Strata 5 does both hi and low together at the same time and does it very well, personal experience here..lol...however if you got the grand then get the Storm 5.....its more happily worth the extra £300 over the Strata 5........will also work well with RS8's too......REL and MA seem to work well together in general i've found (check my sig, add an REL Quake as well to that...lol)

against the PV1....hmm...its a close call, its a different sort of experience.....but i think the PV1 does only do one connection or the other at one time, so you might be excusing it straight off.......

i'm sure the option of getting a SVS sub will happen soon when someone sees this thread that owns one...heh......by all accounts on this forum they are very good subs for the money, altho a little big in size, but if thats not a problem then could be worth a shot, however unless you can drag yourself to Kent for a demo then you'll be buying blind....unless someone here lives close and is happy to let you come round for a listen or possibly even bring their round to your place....

oh, and in case anyone makes comparisons to the older Storm 3, dont worry, apparently my Strata 5 beats the old Storm 3 fairly nicely, so the new Storm 5 would whomp its behind ;-)

Meeko

Out of interest, what's the difference in experience between a PV1 and Storm 5? Am still torn as to which sub to choose. Need to find somewhere to demo!

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Knyght_byte said:
i'm sure the option of getting a SVS sub will happen soon when someone sees this thread that owns one...heh......by all accounts on this forum they are very good subs for the money, altho a little big in size, but if thats not a problem then could be worth a shot, however unless you can drag yourself to Kent for a demo then you'll be buying blind....unless someone here lives close and is happy to let you come round for a listen or possibly even bring their round to your place....

ah well, seeing as tho you mentioned them first ;) lol

i would consider an svs from av-sales in kent .. http://www.av-sales.co.uk/search.ph...t=183&stype=exact&pg=1&Submit.x=81&Submit.y=9 ..

i owned a pv1 and took it to kents av-sales to demo it against a pb12plus back-back... and although the pv1 is an exceptional sub, it just doesnt go as loud or as deep as the svs. you also need to consider the size of these svs subs as well, my pb12 is 25" deep 25" high and 18" wide, but if that doesnt bother you, you will be hard pressed to get a better performance for around the same money... unless you go second hand.

you can also get a further discount on svs from here .. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248768 ..

mcsdan

Thanks all for the advice.

My initial demo list was purely REL since I already have a quake but thought I'd include the PV1 due to all the press it has had.

I think I'll demo the storm 5, strata5 subs probably at my local sevenoaks. I'm interested to see the difference in the RELs for the price.

Dan

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom