1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub to suite room size

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bjcol, Jan 8, 2004.

1. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I'm after a little advice on what kind of sub to get for my room size. My room is 3.7meters by 4.85meters and I have a budget of £450. The speakers I have are as follows: B&W CC6 Centre, B&W 601 S2 Bookshelf fronts and B&W DS6 Dipoles at the sides for surround. According to the manuals for the speakers they all pretty much only go down to 80Hz. So I want a sub to get the lower frequencies. These are all powered by a Rotel RB976 power amp. I have a CD player with a volume control which is bypass connected to the power amp for stereo listening and a Sony EP9ES processor for surround duties. I'm preferably after a sub which is good with music aswell as cinema.

All my speakers and rack are cherry wood and the misses says the sub HAS to be Cherry wood and not too big either.......DOH! I've had a look at the features on the Rel Quake and the simultaneous hi/low imputs would suit my current setup quite nicely and mean I didn't have to switch between input on the sub. However I'm a bit worried that this sub might not be big enough for the room. I spoke to Audio T and they reckoned I'd be better off with a Q150 but it only comes in Black. They did offer me 25% of the value of the sub for 'free' sub cables which sounds alright.

I then started reading this forum and it looks like despite good press reviews theres a few people who arn't that impressed with the Rel Quake either. So I had a look at the MJ reference 100 which gets good press here. I'm not sure if it has more clout than the Quake for my room but I notice it doesn't do simultaneous hi/low inputs which is a shame.

I'm planning a trip to Sevenoaks at the weekend to hopefully demo them both and see what the missus reckons to the size. I might see if they would let me take them home to try as that's the ultimate test. I'd love to get a second hand bigger more musical sub but the misses already gives me servere ear ache about the DS6's and refuses to let me get a big black box of a sub to make the room look horrible.

If anyone can make any further suggestions as to subs to look at then I'd appreciate this and also their experiences/opinions on the sub size/room size. Is it that a smaller sub will go just as load as a bigger one but just not go a low? We are link detached to the neighbours garage where our lounge is so I can play things pretty loud but maybe a big sub going low might anoy them.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Ben

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    MJ ref 100 has hi/lo inputs just like the rel, it comes in cherry and is very good value for money

3. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do both the high and low level inputs work at the same time like the REL?

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    yep

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Generally, forum members feel that the Quake is significantly outperformed by the equivalent MJ Acoustics sub, which is currently the Reference 100.

If you want to spend a little extra, B&W's ASW675 is very handsomely finished and also admirably compact, and would blow both the Quake and Pro 100 out of the water.

On your trip to Sevenoaks, I'd advise you to do one thing. Before you listen to any compact subwoofers, listen to a higher-end larger REL or similar, such as a Storm III. This will ensure that you don't get impressed on a quick-fire demo of the smaller units and buy a sub which isn't really worthwhile.

If you hear one of the bigger subs you'll understand what 'Quality' bass is all about, and I think it'd help you try and find characteristics in subs lower down in the ranges which better emulate this.

6. esquire415

esquire415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm, i hope i'm not too late but have you checked the tiniest subwoofers from Sunfire? They are here in the US but i'm sure they have dealers over there in the UK and they cost about the same as the Quake or Reference 100. You can get the 9"cube Sunfire True Subwoofer Junior @ Ebay for less than $500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3073346962&category=3275

A very dimunitive yet powerful sub sporting a 1500watt amp. Even the next model up, the Mark IV, is still smaller than the Rel or MJAcoustics, only 11"cube and with a 2400watt amp but it costs a lot more.

True Subwoofer Super Junior
    http://www.sunfire.com/truesubjr.htm

True Subwoofer Mark IV
    http://www.sunfire.com/truesubmarkIV.htm

Here are some reviews:

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/sunfiresuperjr/

http://www.audioreview.com/Subwoofers/Sunfire/PRD_124035_2741crx.aspx

7. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    If you could findf one you could get a Servo 15 in cherry.
    Dave.

8. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    the best solution to your problem is, divorce the wife, then pick any sub you want, i did

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. bjcol

bjcol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your responses, I bought an MJ reference 100 in the end, I was impressed with it and thought it was better with music in the demo compared to the Quake. Also the girlfriend liked that fact it wasn't to big and looked nice in the cherry finish. The guy at the shop had thought I wanted to demo the Pro 100 and the GF almost had a fit when she saw the size of it so any of the bigs subs were definately out of the question. I bought it from Paul Green in Bath, they are delivering it/setting it up for me tomorrow night. Paid £360 which with the free delivery/setup I thought was pretty good.

11. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    And to think I felt persecuted when my girlfriend told me to downgrade to just one 909.........