Sub to pair with Gallo's - open plan living space

sintellins

Novice Member
Hi

Sorry to add further into the open list of questions on this very helpful forum.

After renovating and extended our house I've planned a discrete 7.1 setup into the open plan living space we've built. I have x4 Gallo Micro SE for the rears and intend to use the ADiva SE for the LCR.

My question centres around sub pairing with this setup. Usual conditions apply in terms of domestic acceptance, but while I'm looking for a punchy bass (80:20 movies:music) I don't want something overpowering, both visually and from a room shaking point of view! Simplicity suggest I continue with the Gallo Profile Sub, possibly even x2 which can be wall mounted under a "floating" TV cabinet and maintain discreteness but equally I don't want to spend money where I could get better performance.

I've looked at a number of options including numerous posts on this forum, so looking at SVS SB1000, BK300-SB, Gallo Profile, B&W PV1D, REL HT but wanted to get the benefits of knowledge from this forum group.

Appreciate any guidance or advice!

Cheers

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
SVS SB1000 (American Audio gives -10% discount for 1st order) could be ideal when size matters, i don´t know any other such small sub with 12" driver. It can play high up cleanly supporting small sats. The same was mentioned for BK P12-300SB (399£) when they were partnered with some smaller sats in review. REL HT1205 has been praiced being "punchy" on HCC review. I would throw Arendal 1961 1S as another option, around 750£ shipped or so not sure the exact costs after Brexit. Compact powerfull sealed sub which would be best of the bunch regarding performance and sound (bass) quality is reportedly great. Same 5year amp warranty and great support/service as with SVS. Shipped from Norway (?) in few days usually.

SVS has the SB2000 model as refurb still available around 700£ mark. These are usually in mint condition. Definitely good step up from SB1000 with modest size bump.

I don´t see any reason to pick B&W PV1D. Overpriced, amp failures with AVF members, short amp warranty and rather anemic performance for the price you pay. Gallo with 8" driver and small cab with 150w amp isn´t going to compete with these models mentioned. You are in control how loud the sub plays, so can´t see it shaking the room too much. You need to consider the placement and then of course size. Finish and looks likely play some role too. You won´t find much negativity for the SVS, REL, BK, Arendal models so can´t see you going wrong with either of those. For long term purchase it`s often worth to spend little more, no regrets / second guessing later.

Last edited:

sintellins

Novice Member
Excellent, thank for the detailed reply. Pretty much confirmed what I thought on the B&W. The SB1000 fits the best and comes in the white finish which will blend better so that is primary choice. Thanks for tip on American Audio, I'll give them a ring

The list continues, next stop TV choice :D

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Excellent, thank for the detailed reply. Pretty much confirmed what I thought on the B&W. The SB1000 fits the best and comes in the white finish which will blend better so that is primary choice. Thanks for tip on American Audio, I'll give them a ring

The list continues, next stop TV choice :D

Mention you are AVF member. The code should be available when you go their site and it pops up window where you add your information.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom