Sub to pair with Bluesky 6.5's - which one?

Jackass

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I've currently got a Servo 15 paired with the onloan BS 6.5's up front.
When listening to music the bass is currently to wooly and boomy and not tight enough,
do i need to experiment with placement (Servo currently across room in a corner adjacent to 6.5's) or ditch the servo?

Help :(

Steve.

P.S

I heard some BW 703 last week and thought they were brilliant, do i disregard the bluesky's????

Yes, don't be afraid to experiment with different sub positions, next to the front speakers isn't always the best. I have my main sub at the back of my room.

Hi Steve
You didnt hear the 703 in your own room though which can make a big difference,Isnt the blueskys crossover 80hz i wouldnt have thought they could sound boomy,It is almost certain a problem with the subs position so try and get it out of the corner if you can.
Cheers Gonzo.

Originally posted by Jackass
do i need to experiment with placement (Servo currently across room in a corner adjacent to 6.5's) or ditch the servo?

I heard some BW 703 last week and thought they were brilliant, do i disregard the bluesky's????

From what I have been told by Servo owners, they aren't at their best in corners so moving it around could play dividends.

Only you can decide whether you prefer the sound of the B&W or Blue Sky but it would help if you could obtain a home demo of the B&W 703's so that you can compare like with like.

Thankyou folks,

I'll try placing the sub in different places although i'm been informed that the servo really isnt fast enough for music listening.

Maybe a SVS or DD series could be on the cards. :confused:

Steve.

Opinions seem to be divided on the musicality of the Servo 15 with some swearing by them and others saying that they would not be the first choice to listen to music with.

The cheapest option by far would be to tweak your existing sub and try and improve it's performance and only then if you can't get the sort of sound that you like out of it, start looking at a replacement.

Originally posted by Jackass

Depends on what you think to the blueskies;) IMHO they are stunning speakers, but your view of their performance won't be helped if the synergy between sub and speakers isn't quite "there".

The 6.5's are utterly ruthless.

If the disc is mastered *****, it'll sound *****.

On the other hand, if the disc is mastered well, the 6.5's are capable of outstanding performance

Careful positioning of your sub should bring you some top sounds...

Adz

I'd experiment with the positioning - mine sounded awful in the corner and only came into it's own when moved to a completely different location. I would add though that I needed to adjust the phase (using the X30 controller box) to get everything to gel really well.

I certainly wouldn't buy this "too slow for music" rumour - it's a low distortion sub (just as the SVS's and Velodyne's are) it just requires patience and experimentation to get right.

Matt.

Thanks Matt,

I wont know what it can really achieve until our new house has been finished. (move in June) :(

Til then there's no point in moving the sub around and space is at a premium just now in the flat. (and lack of motivation is another factor :D )

Steve.

Steve,

What did you think of the blue skys?

I'm thinking of trying them in my new room, when its ready

Cheers Rob.

Rob,

They are okay but i feel that the rest of my system is not doing them any justice at all.

Panasonic XP50 DVD player to Denon 3801 amp :(

My mission M72's sounded abit warmer but these bluesky's are abit more transparent on good recordings using the XP50 as a transport to the 3801.

I just wish that i had delayed the bluesky's a month until i get my Linn UnidiskSC but i just couldn't wait :)

Steve.

How would a Rel Q400 compare to the servo15, musically?

Would it be alot faster and tighter sounding if properly setup?

Steve.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom