Sub to match Teac / Mission setup

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Philip_Rogers, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Philip_Rogers

Philip_Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Teac Reference 350 system with Mission M72 (front), Mission M70 (rear) and Mission M7C1 centre speaker. I would like to buy a sub-woofer to add bass while watching DVDs. I can get either the old Mission M70AS that matches my system at £119. It is very big and not well-reviewed Or the current Mission M8AS at £149 which is Mission's new model. However, my local Hi Fi Dealer suggests a REL quake at £350.

The REL looks nice but is more than double the price. Is is over-specified for my current (budget, but still good) system?

Recommendations??

Thanks!

Philip

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Hifi dealers do tend to recommend whatever make they sell at the expense of other models, after all they exist purely to sell product.

I haven't heard your Teac system but a quick Google around brought up a review from a hifi mag that liked it. In my opinion a poor subwoofer will make itself felt by producing audible distortion, booming and an inability to keep up with the rest of the music and should therefore be avoided.

I haven't heard the new Mission subwoofer but working on the basis that they have never been reknowned for their subwoofers I would suggest that you look elsewhere. The Mordaunt Short MS309 at £225 is a well reviewed sub that received 5 star ratings from the magazines that tested it but if you insist on something smaller I would suggest the BK Electronics XLS200 at £279