1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub to Match Mission 700's

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mseabroo, Jun 16, 2002.

1. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I'm considering a sub to suplement my existing setup, which consists of the following

Sony 940
    Mission 703 fronts
    Mission 70C2 Center
    Mission 701 rears

The 703's seem to go quite low already with plenty of weight and depth, even the 701's can get things rattling if your too close.
    But there still seems to be something missing.

Guess my question is am I likely to gain a great deal by adding a sub from the budget end of the market ?

I've been thinking of the following

Mission M70AS
    KEF PSW1000 or
    Paradigm Sub

The KEF seems to be a good deal from SuperFi who are quoting £99.99 ?

Is it worth going this route or holding out till I can justify a REL ?

Thanks in advance for your views

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Hi

My money would be on a Paradigm PS1000 or PDR 10. If you are considering a Rel then also take into account you could have a pair of Paradigm PS1000 for 300 quid (on offer at Richer Sounds).

Whilst the Paradigm cant go as low as the Rels its still a very good sub and at the price is a bargain.

Worth a demo to see what you think.

Cheers

3. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Jase,

Thanks for the advice, I went to audition the Paradigm PS1000, yesterday (after finally finding a RS that actually had one).

Most impressed and now the proud owner. It seems to be a real monster. Build quality is also much higher than I was expecting for the price. As you said a real bargain.

All I have to do now if figure out the best set-up to get the best out of it.

I've only had chance to get it hooked up the LFE feed and set the level so far. After which it seems to be relatively subtle with film material (not tried music yet). (Although with the level higher than the other speakers it really rocked the place).

Currently I have the rest of the speaker still set to large and the cut off on the sub turned to maximum.

Is this likely to be the correct setting given the rest of my package? All other amp settings are at default (120Hz cut off all round on the front/rears).

Thanks again for the advice
    :D