• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sub to match b&w 685s?

JamesP1701

Prominent Member
I have the above speakers and a b&w ht62 centre. My sub is currently a Mordaunt short 309i, all hooked to a Denon 2311. My question is whether it would be worth upgrading the sub, if so why, and what might you recommend?

Many thanks.

KUBBY

Prominent Member
Hi

Are you happy with your current Sub?

Other than upgradeitis,is there a reason that you feel that you need to replace your Sub?

If your happy, wait until it stops/goes Pop, then consider a BK.

K.

Nallen0401

Established Member
I went the BK route.

JamesP1701

Prominent Member
Thank you.

I was in a megastore the other day and listening to an all in one surround system and the bass seemed much better than on my system (love everything else on it though.)

Why a BK rather than a b&w sub?

Nallen0401

Established Member
Look at what you get for the money. I was sceptical, thinking you get what you pay for and such but after reading all the rave reviews I took a chance. I am not disappointed. :)

(Unlike the neighbours).

logiclee

Prominent Member
I have the 684's with HT62 Centre. So very similar to yours but just bigger floorstanders.

I had a Rel Q200E a 12" 100W sub but it wasn't really gelling with the B&W's. So I thought I'd audition a few, tried various at Seven Oaks. More form REL, KEF, Velodyne and Paradigm at different price points. Some offered more depth and more slam than others but when listening to music I could always tell what was comeing from the sub, integration wasn't seemless.
So a week later went back and tried the B&W610 and B&W610XP. Wasn't expecting great things as they are tiny only a bit bigger than the 10" driver.
But Wow they can really dig deep and they really do gel seemlessly to the 684/685 and HT62.
I was torn between the 610 and 610XP, the XP did have a touch more slam but £200 more I wasn't sure. Seven Oaks said I could take the 610 and if I wasn't 100% satisfied I could upgrade to the XP.
Some may like the room to shake more but in my 20'x13' room I find the XP610 is a joy with music and certainly more than I require for HC viewing.
Watched Transformers 3 today and the bass accuracy and toughtness and then the slam is awesome from such a small package.

You can read what hifi's 5 star review here...
B&W ASW610 review from the experts at whathifi.com

And for another year it's won the 2011 best Subwoofer under £700 award.
I managed to get mine for £440

Cheers
Lee

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom