1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub to hide under sofa?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Neil Fellows, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I seem to recall a while ago seeing a sub that was very flat looking (say 5" high) and completely round (thing giant extra-strong mint!) that was designed to 'slide' under furniture (ie, anywhere out of view). I think you could also hang it on the wall. Trouble is I have no idea where I saw it. Anyone have any ideas?

I have to admit i'm a little aprehensive regarding it's sound quality, especially when it's 'boxed in' under a sofa - what do you guys think?

Thanks for any help.

2. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think it was part of a Jamo sub/sat set. IIRC the mags thought it was quite good.

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
  4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    BTW: Don't click on the hi-res link below the images. It's just a 4Meg image of the sub.

Nimby

5. bilba

bilba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Neil,

have you considered DIY?

I recently completed a sub designed to sit flat against a wall. It would also fit under a sofa.
    It's 1130mm High * 200mm Deep * 590mm Wide.

If you want to check out 'Slim Jim', here he is.....
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/bcolliso/slim-jim.htm

Ports would fire out into the room and the driver would delver its goodies straight up..... :devil:

regards
    Bilba

6. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ...THATS THE ONE! I new i'd seen it somewhere, it looks really intresting. I'll track down some reviews but it looks just like the kind of thing i'm looking for. Thanks very much for your efforts guys, and thanks for the link. I could do with finding somewhere that sells the sub only, as I currently have a Mordaunt-Short Genie 5.1, and would like to replace the sub as it is the size of Wales.

Thanks for the DIY info Bilba, i'd consider this, but i'm VERY lazy, and no matter what I made it would not be upto the high manufacturing standards of the Jamo. But thanks once again for the info. I have to say that it looks like you've done a great job of it though!

I'm off to find some reviews of the Jamo, thanks once again for your help guys, much appreciated.

7. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,342
    FWIW - I saw this in the window of one of the shops on Tottenham Court Road this lunchtime. Sorry I didn't get the store name (forgot why it was interesting) the whole package was £200 IIRC. The sub looks like an over size extra strong mint - but as you hide it that's not a problem :)
    If you want I can pass that way on my way home and let you know the details of the shop if you're interested - PM me and I'll see what I can do.