1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub to go with M&K

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Postie67, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Postie67

Postie67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on a sub for a M&K setup of 3xS85 and 4xss150THX surrounds. I have a KEF THX sub but is a Servo 15 better? What about a Paradigm PS1000 Subwoofer is this similar to a servo 15? Thanks for looking and any info shared.

Postie

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The problem with the KEF THX sub is that it doesn't go very deep. The Servo 15 will plumb much greater depths than the KEF sub if you can find one but if not an SVS will make an excellent alternative.

I have the Pro versions of the S85 and they are accompanied by an SVS 20-39 PC Plus in a musical version of peaches and cream

3. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Try the M&K MX125 MKII, this will work so well with S85's.

I know there are cheaper subs available, but just have a listen because when set up correctly there is no sub!! i know a few of the guys on here have heard ours and i think they liked what they heard.

Good luck!

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is where it's all a bit confusing - on one hand, KEF quote a frequency range of 35Hz-150Hz and then they say "extending right down to 15Hz".

http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/thx/tdm_45b.htm

To me, any big sub with a 300 watt amp and a 15" driver is going to go a lot deeper than 35Hz. Also, I'm not sure but I thought there was something in the original THX specs for subs saying that they had to go down to 20Hz or something (and, no, I'm not talking about the THX Ultra II sub specs).

Having said all that - it's not a brilliant sub and is said to be a bit "slow sounding" on the higher frequencies. In other words as a movie only air shifter it probably isn't too bad but for accurate musical reproduction you might be better advised to look elsewhere.

Matt.