1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub to fill a room 22 x 13.5

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SanPedro, Jun 19, 2003.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    I'm soon to be moving house and am in the fortunate position to consider adding a sub to my system as there will be no neighbours to annoy. Hooray.

I had a demo of the REL Q150 in a Manchester shop. To be honest i wasn't really that blown away by it. It probably wasn't set up properly to be honest, but it didn't seem to add the extra meat that i'd be looking for as a step up from my existing Eltax floorstanders.

Given that the new room is fairly large would I be better off with the Mission m5as? It seems a way bigger beastie than the REL. Or would the RELQ150 or Velodyne CHT10 be ok assuming they are set up right. I've got up to £500 to spend.

Thanks in advance

Chris

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    How about the CHT15? and save up a little more, that way you will not be in such a rush to upgrade.

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    How much is the CHT15?

Cheers

Chris

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    £685 from the Power Buy forum.

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    thanks Ian. Possibly out of my price range at the moment. I can get the Mission for £450 and it seems to have had some good reviews. don't think I could persuade my partner to go that high.

D'ya think the CHT10 would do the better than the Mission or the Q150?

Must get a demo on the Mission and Q150 together I guess.

Cheers

Chris

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have no idea of what the Mission can do but Juboy had a REL Q150 and bought a CHT10 with the idea of running them both for a while and selling the loser. He sold the REL.

I would be careful though as you do have a large room to fill

7. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be honest, if you're not going to spend the cost of a CHT-15 now I wouldn't spend that much at all on a sub now. It's really worth saving for (IMHO).

The step up to a CHT-15 from the REL150E is huge. It's the best £185 (or 235 if you get a good REL discount) you could spend. I'd say three times as good for a mere 40% extra cost. (You know how subjective these statements are :D !)

Save your pennies now and get a CHT-15 when you can, or if you must have a sub now, spend less such as £199 on a Velo VX-10 or similar. It's easier to justify upgrading a £199 sub to a £685 sub than £450 to £685 even if it is over twice as good.

Disclaimer, I don't know how good the Mission or CHT-10 are but I do have an RELQ150E (currently providing bass effects for my PC gaming upstairs!).

Thanks,

Charles.

8. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chris if you can handle the "Chinese water torture" that is buying a Servo 15 from Richer Sounds then you can't buy a better sub for £500 (well £499 to be precise :) )

I've had mine just under 12 months now and it still puts a smile on my face when I hear it. It's almost a religious experience :D

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Chris,

A mixed bag of answers as usual but if you have the space to house a big box, there is no doubt that the Paradigm Servo 15 offers the biggest bang for £500 if buying new.

As Orbital said, the downside is that they are only available on special order from Richer Sounds and they are a real shower to deal with. Telephone one branch and they will tell you that there are none in the central warehouse, telephone another and they will have a look on the same computer system and tell you that there are 26 available.

Yet another option if you are that adventurous is to buy directly from USA where these things are much cheaper. Quite a few of us have done this recently (including me) and we have ended up with the type of bargains that are rarely available in this country. An SVS 25-39 PCi will probably set you back £510 and will outperform anything available in the UK at that price, with the exception of the Servo 15.

The website is here

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Thanks guys

As usual, a lot of friendly, useful and sometimes contradictory advice ;-)

A local dealer has the Q150, Mission and also a new Kef THX reference sub in at the moment priced around £600 - £700. Anyone know what that would be? He reckons it's the mutt's nutts. Will have to give them all a go. What a job.

Some things are just so difficult. :confused:

Cheers

Chris

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's human nature for all dealers to recommend what they sell with pride of place being for what they make most money from selling. Try asking his opinion about some of the make's that he doesn't sell and see his reaction.

Take your time and evaluate as much as you can in your price range before deciding.

Good luck

12. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Interestingly he'd put his money where his mouth was and actually bought one for himself.

But that won't stop me from demoing all of them just to make sure. ;-)

Cheers

Chris

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ask him about Revel subwoofers, see what he thinks of them. If he dismisses them (and not a Revel dealer) pretty much says it all.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    SVS or Servo15 for a £500 budget, follow Ians advice

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    :smashin: :clap: :smashin: :clap: :smashin:

16. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Is it a real pain though, going through Richer sounds? The sub sounds awesome from the reviews I've seen. but is it any good on music as well? I don't just want a thumper. be nice to have some finesse as well.

And whats the SVS. never heard of it to be honest and wouldn't know where to get them from.

Chris

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    SVS are an American company that supply directly to the general public and I linked to their website in an earlier post on this thread.

Whilst it may seem adventurous buying directly from US it is fairly simple and the shippers will handle all the documentation for you delivering a large box directly to your door.

It handled Eric Clapton and BB King on DVDA exceptionally well this afternoon when I was demonstrating mine to another forum member, whilst the movie reproduction left us both with new centre partings

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Subs with the characteristics of the Servo15, Velodyne and SVS are doing the job correctly. They are equally at home with films or music. If a sub is only good at one, then it is likely to be a 'compromised' design. None of these are but MANY other are. Buyer beware.

19. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ian just out of curiousity did you buy your SVS blind? or had you managed to get a demo somewhere here? If so where?

rOAdeh

edit: just found answers to my other questions in another thread...

20. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be buying the active SVS Ultra blind, however from the comments from people with my current sub (Rel Storm) it should be a huge upgrade.

Still, alot of people buy speakers blind anyway (wink wink) so makes not of a difference.

Regarding failure, my dad is a electronics engineer so he should be able to fix the amp module if it fails... if it's something more serious (damaged woofer) I guess I'll have to send it back to the US.

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I hadn't heard the sub before I bought it but I had read a number of reviews. In particular I read the review of a lesser model in Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity here which we have been told on good authority is the bible for such things.

The company also offer a no quibble money back guarantee if you don't like what you have bought and whilst I would have to pay for the return shipping if I wished to return it as I didn't like it, I couldn't see the company making such an offer if they weren't sure of what they were selling.

If the sub required any rectification work under warranty it would be simply a matter of exchanging the driver or amplifier, both of which are easy to replace in minutes but I understand that the failure rate is less that 0.5%.

Rumour has it that the company are in the process of appointing an authorized repairer in UK which will make life easier in the future.

It was a risk I suppose but a calculated risk and having now lived with it for a couple of weeks I firmly believe that I could not have bought a comparable sub through normal retails channels for less than twice what I paid for the Tower of Power.

22. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Sounds good Ian. Have had a look at reviews and the SVS website, Couldn't find the model you mentioned earlier. Would the 20-39PCi do the job in a room of my size. By the reviews and technical specs it should blow the bloody doors off. Which is what I'm after. My current speakers give reasonable crunch and thump but I really want something that will intimidate small children and animals ;)

Looking at SVS website this beastie is $749 (inc shipping) which comes in at £450. What additional duties and taxes need to be paid on top of this? I'm assuming there will be more.

Cheers

Chris

23. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Here you go

Cheers,
    Liam

24. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Chris,

I think that the duty is 4.5% and Vat is payable on everything which should bring the total cost to about £550 for the 20-39 PCi

The 20-39 PC Plus will be another £200 for an improved driver and more powerful amp and that is what I use to keep Staffordshire awake at night.

25. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137

You're like a mut with a bone sometimes Ian.

Orbital made the pilgrimage to Mecca yet?

Adzman

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Not yet but the invite has been extended and I am awaiting his call.

27. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    Will the bog standard 20-39PCi be enough to rattle the furniture? I do want something that will give a realistic home cinema soundtrack. I don't think the likes of the REL Q150, Velodyne CHT 10 (for all their undoubted qualities) will give that missing ingredient.

Do you know of anyone in the North (Manchester / Leeds) that has an SVS sub?

Cheers

Chris

28. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That's a difficult question for me to answer honestly as I have only ever heard one SVS sub and that's the one in my living room. Mine is turned up one notch out of about twelve and is sufficient to create a centre parting in my hair when listening to "interesting" bits in a film. From what others have written here the PCi models are only marginally less powerful so should be sufficient for your needs.

29. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>Will the bog standard 20-39PCi be enough to rattle the furniture? I do want something that will give a realistic home cinema soundtrack. I don't think the likes of the REL Q150, Velodyne CHT 10 (for all their undoubted qualities) will give that missing ingredient.<<<

Hi Chris,

In your size room, the 20-39PCi will extend down to the 17-19hz range and offer a clean 109-115dBs of output to the seating positions. (assuming you can place it in a corner). I believe this will meet or exceed all of your performance expectations. The PC+ version will give you the flexibility of adjustable tuning points(which can help dial in the subwoofer to your room in some cases), a slightly better driver, and a more powerful amplifier. This all adds up to a 2-4dB increase in headroom in most cases. So if the 20-39PCi maxxed out at 115dBs on LOTR in your room...the PC+ would be able to hit 118-119dBs most likely. Up until the PCi approaches its performance limits...both units will sound very similar.

Tom V.
    SVS

30. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'll be there don't you worry! :D I'm just trying to get at least one night's full sleep in before coming round or your SPL readings will be even higher due to my added snoring :boring: I'm sure it wasn't my idea to have another kid!! :D