Sub to compliment Monitor Audio setup?

Soul

Established Member
Reaction score
I've built my A/V system around Monitor Audio speakers. Having just swapped my front floorstanders for MA fronts I've got the following:

Onkyo SR-805
MA Radius 250HD fronts
MA Radius 225 centre
MA Radius 45 rears

The fronts aren't as bassy as my floorstanders were so I'm now looking at adding a sub into the mix. Setup is pretty much only used for movies/tv.

I've seen opinions that say that MA subs aren't actually as good as the rest of their speakers so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what would work well.

Budget is up to say £500.

Thanks!!

A bk mono or a 400.

Thanks Scott. Looking at the Monolith how would I decide whether the front or down firing option would be best?

That's Kelvin and yes it's worth the money for sure and will beat what your floor standers did before.

Soul definitely worth a look and the money . I bought a jvc projector off Kelvin and he really looks after his stuff and he is a really nice guy with plenty of knowledge . So in my opinion you can buy with real confidence and yes I do have a Monolith (great value for money) cheers Garry

Thanks guys. I shouldn't be concerned with the age (6 years) and the modification then?

It's still a baby and it's got a better driver because Kelvin likes it super loud and bass heavy and has a big room and blow the older driver, this driver is better and Kelvin has 2 diy 15 now.

Don't be put of go listen to it.

Been trying to figure out where to put a sub if I get one. Quick drawing of the room (furniture not exactly to scale!).

I could fit something like a BKXLS200 in that corner behind the round swivel chair, but don't think something monolith-sized would get in there.

Could just about get a monolith in the corner behind the sofa, but read some bad things about having the sub that close to where you sit.

Other option is directly under the front speakers/tv (they're all wallmounted) but makes the room look more cluttered than it already is.....

photo.JPG

Argh the internal debate is killing me :) Don't want to pass up that 2nd hand Monolith when buying a new XLS200 would cost me more, but the Mono is a real struggle to fit into the room. Very nervous of having it next to the sofa 5ft from me.....

It will be fine don't miss out.

Some other bugger's trying to buy it now :)

I have a pair of 15" subs 6ft from where I sit and it's ok.

Picking up that Mono from Kelvin this afternoon. I'm rather excited :D :D

Nice one, he might even demo his twin DIY 15's if you ask nicely. It may be a project you could consider when/if you wish to upgrade down the line.

The mono is a great sub for the money though and you have a bargain.

Well it's home and wired up. I've only got one preout on the SR805 so I've got it wired into the right low level input.

Run the Audessey set up and all seems good. Have had to turn the gain up a fair way for it to be really noticeable though, which makes me think something isn't dialled in on the amp. There are quite a lot of settings on the amp for Tone Control, including db settings for each speaker. All currently set to 0.00. Not sure if I need to play with those at all....

And the SR805 is being a right bugger at getting the setup menus out to my TV, regardless of whether I use HDMI or s-video :( I'm having to do everything via the front LCD atm...

Make sure you don't have double bass on set the cross over to 80hz or higher on front speakers set lpf/lfe to 120hz.

Make sure you run all 8 points.

Have you set it to output to the TV on the menu.

Menu 1 monitors out.

I've swapped HDMI Monitor between Yes and No and it seems to make no difference....

Audessey did a complete sweep, though when running it through the front panel you only get one sweep not the multiple listening positions.

Front set to 80Hz(THX)
Centre set to 100Hz
Surround set to 150Hz
LPFofLFE set to 80Hz(THX)

Have just set LPForLFE to 120Hz to see if that makes a difference.

And dropped subwoofer bass level to -2dB

To get the best results it needs to do all 8 can you see normal pictures through it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom