1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub suggestion please... FMJ P7/AV8

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by kevshed, Jan 27, 2003.

1. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hi all...

Suggestion time please... who can help with the scenario below :)

Just in the process of upgrading Arcam AVR100 to FMJ AV8/P7 combo. Currently speakers are Kef 2005 kit - fine for the avr.. but clearly lacking for the FMJ.

However, i dem'd the FMJ on the eggs - just to get an idea, and frankly i was pleasantly suprised at how well they sounded.. certainly were driven much better and closer to their limits than the AVR could - (dont underestimate them! - for cinema anyway)

The lacking point by far is the sub... if i change that now, im sure i'll be happy until i can scrape the funds needed for a 7 channel MK or B&W setup.

Ultimate plan is to replace them with MKs or similar, but not until ive appeased the mrs about the amp upgrade.

Question is:

I need to replace my Kef 2005 sub (pretty weak), with something around the same sort of physical size - can go slightly bigger, but not much. So, am after a recommendations for a smallish THX sub. I am on a budget, so suggestions of discontinued - used models also valid - would really like to spend well under £1000.

Cheers all.. look forward to the inputs, as always
    Kev

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +889
    If you can wait till late Feb/early March then you might be able to buy a Paradigm Servo 15 for £500 from Richer Sounds. Or you could buy a Velodyne CHT-15 frm Uncle Eric for £684.

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    try ex-dem M&K - i think i saw a MX 125 in svenoaks (manchester) around that kinda price, although it did have a few battle scars. the servo 15 is good as t are the range of velodynes that Eric does in the power buy forum.