1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub suddenly kicking out too much

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JoeJoe, Nov 26, 2003.

1. JoeJoe

JoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Not sure which heading for this one as I don't know if it's the amp or the sub.

I was watching a DVD video with DTS 5.1

One minute, all was OK, the next all the sound disappeared bar the base sound. The sub was kicking a hell of a lot of bass out too.
    I noticed the AMP had switched to the B speaker setting, hence the loss of sound. I may have inadvertently knocked the control stick, I don't remember.
    However, I put it back to A speakers and all was OK except the output on the sub is now much more than it used to be, over powering the sound track now. I have my sub volume set to half way, but now I have to set to almost off ( on the back of the sub ).

If I were to compare it to something, I'd say a bass boost gain had been switched on, but I'm not aware of any on my setup.

Denon 3802
    Kef eggs with KHT2001 ( if I remember correctly ) sub.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

JoeJoe

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Check your Channel Levels. You can do this from the remote. Make sure it's set to AMP and press the little Pause Button located near the Up, Down, Left, Right keys. Each press will cycle through FL, C, FR, SR etc. Check the SW level and lower it if it's set too high.

3. JoeJoe

JoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    Just checked that and it shows all but the centre ( +3 ) as 0.

The bass also shows 0.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Have you balanced them all with a sound meter? You need to do this to get accurate playback. If you don't have a sound meter then you can do it by ear (it's just not as accurate). Play the test tones and adjust each channel so the test tone is the same volume for each one. :)

5. JoeJoe

JoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. The problem is really that the sub has suddenly started kicking out far too much bass. Everything was fine until recently.