1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Stuff

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by paiger, May 27, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get a cheap Sub. RS do the Kef PSW1000 for £140 which looks OK. Any comments on this sub or any other recomendations in this price range. I'm just looking to get something in place until I can afford the Ruark sub to match my other speakers. Also, my amp only has pre outs for a sub. Will this still work OK with the volume control (do I just set the sub to match the mains and leave it) or do I need to adjust it independantly.

Thanks

Steve

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Hi

RS also have the Paradigm PS1000 on offer at the moment (150 quid) also worth having a look at.

Just connect the sub via the Pre-out from your amp and then balance the sub to 75db with a sound meter (all channels should be balanced to this level) using the amps internal test tones. If you havent got a sound meter you´ll have to do it by ear. Once set, as the main volume is increased the sub volume increases in relation, so you dont need to keep adjusting it.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jase, I'm completely new to subs. I have the Ruark Reference speakers for the 5 but have always been lacking the .1 . I would like the Ruark Logrythym but it's £700 too much at the mo. I'll have a look at the Paradigm, would you recommend it over the Kef? To be honest I have have had cheap Kef's before and have been underwhelmed with them. I assume their dearer stuff is much better.

As for sound meters, where can I get one cheap and what is the best make. I would like to get my levels right as I spend ages doing it by ear and get hit and miss results when it comes to the actual movies.

S

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    The Paradigm is better than the Kef, I´ve never been impressed with Kefs subs (apart from their THX sub) and for 150 quid its a bargain (make sure you tell them you saw the offer in What Hi Fi mag!!). My father has the Paradigm in his setup.

In the Hardware Special Offers forum is a thread with places selling the Radio Shack (Tandy) Digital & Analogue sound meters. I´ve got the Digital version myself.

cheers

5. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paiger
    I to would recommend the PS 1000, I've had this sub for about 4 months after I upgraded from a PDR 10, which was my first sub.
    I have found this gives very good results in a movies & music so much so I am about to add a second and for £150 that's a result.
    Remember to take the What hifi ad as the in store price is £250.
    It has also been said on this forum that RS have lost the contract with Paradigm to import this sub so get in there quick.

Samir
    :)