Sub stopped working - Denon X2700H

bluenova

Standard Member
Reaction score
Strange thing happened today. My subwoofer stopped working or greatly reduced in volume. Tried several sources with no change.

When turning the X2700H up to reference faint sound could be heard from the sub.

I checked the subs settings, volume was still 50%, crossover was still max, auto sense off and phaze 0.

I checked the AVR settings, levels, crossovers and speaker configs all correct still. I powered everything off, waited a few minutes, turned on and still no sound from sub.

Checked connections, nothing loose. Tried the other subwoofer preout, no change.

I tried playing something directly into the sub, volume was normal.

Previous audyssey level for sub was -2.5db. I tried rerunning audyssey and the sub came back as +4db, I ran it again and it came back as -2.0db and now sounds as it should.

The AVR, speakers and cables are a little over 4 months old. Is this something I should be worried about? Obviously if it happens again I'll get in touch with Sevenoaks but just wondered if anyone has an idea as to what happened?

At best, a software glitch, but if it keeps doing it then I'd suggest you contact the retailer and have them send it out to a Denon authorised service centre so that they can take a look at it.

Maybe even try a factory reset?

At best, a software glitch, but if it keeps doing it then I'd suggest you contact the retailer and have them send it out to a Denon authorised service centre so that they can take a look at it.

Maybe even try a factory reset?
+1 for factory reset. I had to do this a few times on my old Denon x2500H a few times. Audessey is known to have the occasional software glitch. 😊

Could be a subwoofer issue, sticky/sluggish relay in the anti-thump circuit maybe? What subwoofer is it?

If it happens again, I'd be inclined to connect the subwoofer directly to another source directly (eliminating the AVR) and see what happens.....

I have a vaguely similar issue from time to time. My Denon 2600 sometimes doesn't seem to wake/activate my sub. Power cycling the Denon seems to be the only fix for me (power cycling the sub or TV doesn't help) then a few weeks later it may happen again. Not happening often enough so far to bother with a factory reset but is a pain when it happens as it can ruin a scene or two.

A lot of auto power features on many subs aren't that reactive and simply fail to wake a sub quickly enough. If the sub has the option to bypass the auto power function then set it as being permanently on as opposed to using the auto power feature. You could also try raising the sub level via the AV receiver's speaker configurations. A higher output is more likely to awaken the sub if the auto power feature is in effect. Don't go mad with raising this level though or you'll throw your enture setup out of balance.

I've a BK P12-300SB-DF that includes an auto power option. This works rather welll and is the best instigation of such a feature I've ever encountered.

A lot of auto power features aren;t that reactive and simply fail to wak a sub quickly enough. If the sub as the option to bypass the auto power function then set it as being permantly on as opposed to using the auto power feature. You could also try raising the sub level via the AV receiver's speaker configurations. A higher output is more likely to awaken the sub if the auto power feature is in effect. Don't go mad with raising this level though or you'll throw your enture setup out of balance.
Forgot to mention, when this happens, bypassing the auto on/off still doesn't bring the sub back to life. It changes the led from red to green, but no sound still. It behaves as if it's not receiving a signal. I'd normally suspect wiring but as reseating the cable doesn't help but power cycling the Denon fixes it, maybe software?

What have you configured your speaker sizes as?

Speakers are all set to small. Everything works fine most of the time, then without any changes one day I'll turn everything on as normal but no sub output. It's very odd. I've checked for firmware updates but none are detected.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom