Sub Short List please

MrJubbly

Standard Member
Reaction score
Could anyone provide me list of subs that I could consider for my new set up. I'm looking to spend £300-£600 depending on the outcome of my other speaker selections.

Cheers,

Jubble

Looks like my budget wil now be around £600.

For info the sub will be used in conjunction with KEF Q7's and, in the main, for home cinema. Having said that I would still like it to be adequate for music.

So far on the list (but only in terms of cost so far) I've got:

Velodyne CHT-12R
KEF PSW3000
B&W ASW650 (or poss. 675)
REL Q150E (or poss. Q200E)

I've also just read a review on the REL Stampede which sounded very good. I really would appreciate any opinions on the above, or suggestions for additions :lease: .

Thanks In Advance

Jubbly

Blowing our own trumpet a little, I would suggest you look at the Mordaunt Short 909 as well as it managed an award in HiFi News this month on top of some other good reviews. It is in on budget at £500 as well.

You should have a look at the Quad L Subwoofer also. It's rrp is £700, but I'm sure you will be able to negotiate it closer to £600 with a bit of haggling.
You should be able to get most of the subwoofers you have mentioned in your budget with haggling :)

The B&W ASW675 is definately worth a listen. I have owned one previously and it was a great little sub. :thumbsup:

Yeah, funny that. Over subscription and constant recommendation can often result in complacency, SVS has to be on your list (difficult to demo though!)

Tony8377 said:
No ones suggested an SVS yet, why?

I will then :D

MrJubbly - you absolutely must :lesson: add an SVS to your list. Despite the fact that they aren't easy to audition, you should be able to do enough research via here to at least decide if it's something you wish to take an interest in. I wish someone had told me about them when I was first buying a subwoofer, but then again I wasn't a member of these forums at the time :). There are several options within the range that you could look at....

Should be able to get two SVS PB10's in £600 :eek:

Tony8377 said:
No ones suggested an SVS yet, why?

I'm a bit traditional and find it difficult conversing with a Jubbly :D

juniper said:
I will then :D

MrJubbly - you absolutely must :lesson: add an SVS to your list. Despite the fact that they aren't easy to audition, you should be able to do enough research via here to at least decide if it's something you wish to take an interest in.

I have looked at the SVS's briefly, but have not put them on my list for a few reasons:

Mainly 'cos of the sizes of them. I don't think I'd get permission from the wife.
Not being able to listen/see one in the flesh before buying.
Not keen on importing

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regards,

Jubbly

I've been reading up about MJ Acoustics Reference 200 today. Anyone out there owned or demoed one of these? Would it be worthy of putting on my ever growing 'short list' :laugh: ?

Regards,

Jubbly

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom