Sub Setup

Standard practise is to set the sub crossover or high cut off in your case, to max (140) and use the amp to manage the crossover. Try all settings above 50hz and see which you prefer. This is on the assumption you're using low level (phono) input.

Standard practise is to set the sub crossover or high cut off in your case, to max (140) and use the amp to manage the crossover. Try all settings above 50hz and see which you prefer. This is on the assumption you're using low level (phono) input.

right will set sub too 140hz but what do i set amp too it goes from 80 - 120hz and i am using that input

right will set sub too 140hz but what do i set amp too it goes from 80 - 120hz and i am using that input

I'd start at 80 and work my way up, listening for a good length of time (hours), to all sorts of sounds and choose the one you like best :smashin:

I'd start at 80 and work my way up, listening for a good length of time (hours), to all sorts of sounds and choose the one you like best :smashin:

right
sub on 140hz and amp on 100hz and volume on sub is 3/4 to full and watched a film tonight sounded good but with me messing with the settings on sub i wil need to run audessy again but i will set sub to 140 hz and volume half way so i can up volume on sub .. thing is you can get thesetup bang on but then you watch a film and the sound on source is crap . i downloaded some bas tests tonight also will try them

i am ok with other gear but allways struggled on setting sub up and i have had theses speakers and sub for ages but they still sound good . if i ever get a new sub it will have a mic setup on it

It's trial and error mate.
When I said hours, I meant hours with each x-over setting.

You should be able to find a good compromise, although (and I didn't really want to say this) your sub is crap.

Get a decent sub and expect much better results.

Have a look at these, the XLS200 should be the minimum, but it costs;

www.bkelec/subwoofers

It's trial and error mate.
When I said hours, I meant hours with each x-over setting.

You should be able to find a good compromise, although (and I didn't really want to say this) your sub is crap.

Get a decent sub and expect much better results.

Have a look at these, the XLS200 should be the minimum, but it costs;

www.bkelec/subwoofers

although (and I didn't really want to say this) your sub is crap.:( lol i allways thought it sounded good maybe time to change had it ages what you rekon of Velodyne ?

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DFandFF.htm

this . if so not a bad price . i payed that for the yam ages ago i never chould setup the dam sub i always stuggle on the crossover cut off the speakers if i got that then i whould be fine .

Yep, that's a good choice, a true sub that is highly rated on these forums.

I'm not exactly sure which speakers you have, but they seem to go fairly low. Even so, the XLS200 should do a good job supplementing the bottom end :smashin:

I'm not exactly sure which speakers you have, but they seem to go fairly low. Even so, the XLS200 should do a good job supplementing the bottom end :smashin:

i have the ageis 1 and 3 fronts are bi-wire so is centre tannoy revoltion

never heard of these subs are they custom made

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Black-df.htm this is a nice one the one above . but look at all dials lol that looks fun . what whould these subs rate against the rel . mk. valadyne etc subs ?

although (and I didn't really want to say this) your sub is crap.:( lol i allways thought it sounded good maybe time to change had it ages what you rekon of Velodyne ?

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DFandFF.htm

this . if so not a bad price . i payed that for the yam ages ago i never chould setup the dam sub i always stuggle on the crossover cut off the speakers if i got that then i whould be fine .

I was perhaps a little harsh on the Yam :oops:

But 20hz @ -10dB isn't a very impressive figure really.
The XLS200 is quoted at 17hz @ -6dB, which is quite a bit better.

Whatever, you should consider getting an SPL meter, so you can see exactly what is going on with your bass. It's money well spent, even though you may only use it rarely.
This is the one you want;

www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/rssplmeter.htm

Whilst Audessey is very good, it's not alway correct, so it's worth getting a meter anyway.
It may well be that you should get a meter first and have a look to see exactly what is happening at the moment. You never know, you might be able to get a decent result, although even then, I think the BK would be a better bet.

the monolith is not that much more but is bigger to use the monolith do you need very big room?

very impressed with the postage on that site also

never heard of these subs are they custom made

All made to order.
The black DF you point to looks nice doesn't it? :smashin:

I'm not exactly sure how that would compare with the RELs, but would put money it's better than the smaller ones.

But then, look at the price.

Seeing as you mention the RELs and Velos, I'm guessing you could up the budget?
If so, consider moving up to the likes of a Monolith, as that is a stonking sub for the money. The XLS300 would also be an improvement over the XLS200.
But then, it all depends what you want and how big your room is/if you could accomodate it :)

I was perhaps a little harsh on the Yam :oops:

But 20hz @ -10dB isn't a very impressive figure really.
The XLS200 is quoted at 17hz @ -6dB, which is quite a bit better.

Whatever, you should consider getting an SPL meter, so you can see exactly what is going on with your bass. It's money well spent, even though you may only use it rarely.
This is the one you want;

www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/rssplmeter.htm

Whilst Audessey is very good, it's not alway correct, so it's worth getting a meter anyway.
It may well be that you should get a meter first and have a look to see exactly what is happening at the moment. You never know, you might be able to get a decent result, although even then, I think the BK would be a better bet.

I was perhaps a little harsh on the Yam

no worrys mate .

yea with the audessy it does set it up same every time only changes on full volume so what i did was put sub too 140hz and half volume and then after audessey i played music and put volume up till sounded ok.

thanks for the bk link them subs look a beast . but not much differance in price but size to the monlith and the XLS300/PR will be hard to pick one.

the monolith is not that much more but is bigger to use the monolith do you need very big room?

very impressed with the postage on that site also

You don't need a big room, as you can always adjust the subs volume to suit.
It's more about it's sheer size.

If you're contemplating one, I'd say go for it, there's no way you would regret it :thumbsup:
Awsome sub for £400

You don't need a big room, as you can always adjust the subs volume to suit.
It's more about it's sheer size.

If you're contemplating one, I'd say go for it, there's no way you would regret it :thumbsup:
Awsome sub for £400

thats the thing the size or is that the thing . there bigger than some thx subs and are they better or wourse than thx subs? also there are 2 monolith subs what is differance.

also what sub do you have and do you have one of theses? or have you heard a bk sub?

All good and fair questions seeing as I spout my mouth off so much :) :smashin:

I own this sucker;

www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb13ultra.cfm

Simply the best sub you can buy, even at double the price, IMO :smashin:

And this, for upstairs;

www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

It was my main sub, but I love it that much, it had to stay :)

I've owned the BK Monolith FF, which didn't work for me, although I know it is class for the dough.
Likewise, the PC12 ultra cylinder, here;

www.svsubwoofers.com/Reviews/tssjan05body.pdf

The MS 309, cracking for music.

and before that a Videologic AIO jobby.
That was when I was interested, but didn't know any better :blush:

I've demoed some of the other SVS, the SB12+ extensively.

And RELs before I bothered looking at model names.

I've also played with some others.

Duh, :suicide:

To answer your questions, The BK Monolith would give most THX subs a good run for the money and indeed probably trounce a fair few of them.

A THX badge costs a lot of money, so BK and SVS and the like prefer to keep the price of their stuff down.

Don't read too much into THX.

As for two Monoliths, you can choose between front firer and down firer.
The difference should be obvious.
There apparently is no difference, but I maintain that a DF with a suspended wooden floor is a bad move.

All good and fair questions seeing as I spout my mouth off so much :) :smashin:

I own this sucker;

www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb13ultra.cfm

Simply the best sub you can buy, even at double the price, IMO :smashin:

And this, for upstairs;

www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

It was my main sub, but I love it that much, it had to stay :)

I've owned the BK Monolith FF, which didn't work for me, although I know it is class for the dough.
Likewise, the PC12 ultra cylinder, here;

www.svsubwoofers.com/Reviews/tssjan05body.pdf

The MS 309, cracking for music.

and before that a Videologic AIO jobby.
That was when I was interested, but didn't know any better :blush:

I've demoed some of the other SVS, the SB12+ extensively.

And RELs before I bothered looking at model names.

I've also played with some others.

very nice sub that pb13ultra there usa did you import it dam big sub also i take it the big subs are the best sound then . so how come you did not like the BK Monolith FF is that just a personel thing? that svsound gear is class

Duh, :suicide:

To answer your questions, The BK Monolith would give most THX subs a good run for the money and indeed probably trounce a fair few of them.

A THX badge costs a lot of money, so BK and SVS and the like prefer to keep the price of their stuff down.

Don't read too much into THX.

As for two Monoliths, you can choose between front firer and down firer.
The difference should be obvious.
There apparently is no difference, but I maintain that a DF with a suspended wooden floor is a bad move.

no what you mean about thx speakers i have a old tannoy revoltion center and it sounded miles better than the kef or jamo ultra centres at the time they were just flat .but i do like the jamo thx setup due to speakers are flat. did you set your amp to 80hz for sub with your subwoofers?

also if you have a wood floor (or laminate floor) do not touch a down firing one?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom