Sub Setup (SVS PB10)

H

Hoggers

Hello :)

I am in the process of setting the system up and like many new people on here am having a bit of trouble getting my head around the large/small speaker config and the crossover settings.

The system comprises of AVR300, Kef iQ9 (front) iQ6C and iQ3's rear and PB10.

The iQ9's are rated at 38Hz & 40kHz and a large speaker (acording to the Arcam manual is one that can handle frequencies of between 20Hz and 20kHz

So.. with this in mind ,and my rather dodgy logic, I am hazarding a guess that the config would go something along the lines of...

Front and Centre = Large
Rear = Small
Sub Crossover = 60Kz

Now..does this roughly mean that the fronts and centre will handle LF down to 60Kz with anything lower than this being sent to the sub?

If the fronts and centre are set to small is this going to mean that there will be a kind of backspot where certain frequencies are missed as the speakers will not produce the LF and the Sub does kick in until the LF hits the 60Khz.

Have I completely missed the boat on all this or am I kind of heading in the right direction? :confused:

Any pointers or suggestions would be hugely appreciated and now I am off to play some more.

Thanks in advance.

Alastair

PS.. sorry for the waffling post

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Have a look at my post http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243354
I had to draw a piccy to help me visualise what was happening!!

FWIW, and your set up may be different, I found the best results occured with the Fronts to Large, Centre to Small, Rears to Small, crossover 80hz and the Sub set to LFE+Mains. It took a little time to EQ the mains and the sub, but it worked in the end.

Your fronts look meaty, so I'd try that. In my set up I did a freq response of my front speakers and I found they went below 30Hz nice and flat!! :)

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
..I'd also make the point that with the mains going so low, I bi-amped the fronts as well. Every little helps, so they say!

H

Hoggers

Hi Malice,

Thanks for the pointers. I forgot to mention that the fronts are Bi-Amped as I have found it makes a nice bit of difference and helps to keep the sound
'cleaner'.

What I am hearing so far from the setup having the speakers as large does seem to be working rather nicely and I will up the crossover to about 80Hz to see how I go with that.

Am certainly enjoying the playing around , though I am sure the same can not be said for the neighbours (or girlfriend) ;)

Cheers,

Alastair

Top Bottom