1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Setup HELP

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Burt, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Burt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I've just bought a 2nd hand REL Q100E which I'm now trying to set up. Problem is do I go by the Q100's manual which suggests using high and low level connections and adjusting roll-off and volume untill all is balanced (Nightmare!) or do I use only the low level connection, set all speakers to small and roll-off to maximum.

I assume that if I go with the REL recommended setup that the front speakers need to be set to large?

REL also state in the manual that using the High Level connection in conjunction with low level effectively allows you to position the sub anywhere in the room by simply adjusting the roll-off to compensate. Is this true?

I have the following kit:

Yamaha RX-V630RDS
    Mission 73 Fronts
    Mission M7C1 centre
    Mission M7DS rears.
  2. Jase

Mar 16, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    South Coast

I´d stick with the low level phono connection only and set all speakers to small, all bass to sub and the crossover on the sub to max.

You can´t just bung the sub anywhere and get decent sound, you´ll need to experiment with the placement to find the spot that gives you the best performance.

I used both the High & Low level connections when I had my Rel Q200, because it had a Mode Switch (1-4) to switch IN/OUT the subs crossover. Very handy for anyone that owns a Denon amp/receiver with Direct/Pure Direct modes as it gives you greater flexibility enabling you to get the best performance out of it.:)

I don´t think the Q100 has a mode switch though:confused: