1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Setup Help Needed!!!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by GarethH, Mar 29, 2001.

1. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Today I finally got my Tannoy MxSUB10 after months of waiting for it to arrive. Got home pluged it into my amp using single phono cable.

On my Yamaha DSPa-595a i changed the bass setting to SW, but the sub would not would work. I then changed it to BOTH and it started to work. Putting on Gladiator first i was shocked to hear how much better the sound was. I could feel every vibration on the floor.

However i am a bit worried about the settings. Is it suppose to only work on BOTH mode? Surely it should be set to SW and work. My speakers are set to large as they are large speakers.

Can anyone help with this?

Secondly I am completely stuck with this Crossover stuff. I cant seem to hear much difference if i mess around with the cross over.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN????

Also what should i have the DD and DTS LFE on? DD goes from -20 - 0db and DTS is -10 to +10db?

Can anybody give me any furthur help with setting it up correctly.

Apart from that the sub sounds amazing and i recommend everyone get one if your sub budget is only £250. The only reason i am asking the above questions is because i am not sure if i set it up correctly.

Thanks for the help!

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,553
    Got to be the most frequently asked question in the BB. Did you try searching to find one of the many posts asking exactly the same question? All with very similar answers.
    Start here - http://www.homecinemachoice.com/articles/faq/lfeconnection/connecting.shtml
    Oh and your speakers are most probably small.
    I.e. they don't go down to 20Hz.

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 29-03-2001).]

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,411
    Have you tried to get an audio test tone from your sub woofer using your amps internal test tones ? if you have do you get one regardless of if bass is sent to sub only or both ?

LARGE does not actually mean the size of the speaker but the amount of LFE that it can handle, the following links should help as perfect bass is something I have been trying to get for ages......

( 1 )http://www.wvip.co.uk/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000333.html

( 2 ) http://www.wvip.co.uk/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000178.html

One of these may help once things are working properly !

Im still trying to figure out were you could be going wrong. Are you sure that with bass sent to BOTH the subwoofer is still working and not that you are just feeling ( hearing ) more bass from the main speakers ? The reason I ask is you should get this with bass sent to sub only !!! are you sure that you have told the amp that you now have a subwoofer ?

You say you have it plugged in with a single phono cable and this is something I agree with, however some subs have two phono inputs ( left and right ) and if using only one you have to put it into the one marked mono ( normally left ).

If you have the sub connected with a phono cable leave the crossover ( roll off ) switch turned to maximum as the amp will do all the bass management for you.

Also make sure you have the volume turned up ( but not too much ) on the sub, its very easy to miss all these things in the rush of having new equipment. Before you go any further try and get a test tone from the sub

4. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the help. I'll try that later when i get the chance. Just noticed something this morning.

If I set the speakers to small and then put the bass to SW, the SW comes on. I THINK the amp was reverting the sound back to the speakers as the speakers were set to large.

Now i am confused, what should sound better? Speakers set to small and only have the sub producing the bass, or have both producing the bass?

I have Acoustic Energy Aegis Two's for the fronts (floorstanding), Aegis Center and MS 05i for the backs (bookshelf speakers).

The AE's are genrally good for bass.

Thanks for the help.

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,411
    read what was contained in the two links that I gave you and ask any questions that you think of in the relevant thread, ill get back to you later

but for the time being I have now come to the conclusion that there is no BEST setting just a setting which you prefer. If you want to have less bass but more mid range clarity the set all spaeakers to small and send bass to sub only, if you prefer more bass then set all speakers to large and send bass to both.

you will need to do lots ( and hours ) of testing to get the one which you prefer, its taken me 18 months with my current system.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gareth,
    I find that with my Yammy, it sounds best with all the speakers set to small except the fronts which are on large with bass being set to both, I find this is a good balance for listening to music as well, as my fronts are floorstanders as well. It also made a difference when adjusting my sub, as I have no techinical knowledge of crossover ect...to put the filter on max and adjust via the amp. For a long time (until I got advice from the guys here!)I had the volume set to max which I think most of us do when we first get a sub and it sounded flappy and overblown. Just use your ears, turn the sub down low and slowly turn it up, do this first with music and make an note of when the sub takes over from your mains and blends in, what you are trying here to avoid is the sub sounding detached. Now make a note of the setting. Do the same with a movie. You should find it's a higher setting.what you will need to do is adjust the setting so that it's in between the two settings, thus achieving a good balance for movies and music, ( I'm assuming here that you listen to music through your Yammy,if not just do the second step.)This is what works best for me but like everyone here as said before its personal preference. Good Luck.....

7. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Duncan. I did some of what you said in that post link and WOW! I just put the Lost World scene on DTS Demo 5 on and WOW did it sound great. I could feel every footstep shake my floor.

This is just getting better and better. It also seems that my sub is taking a bit of time to wear in as every time i use it, it seems to sound a lot more deeper and clearer bass rather than just too boomy.

How long do subs take to wear in fully?

My only slight complaint is the magnet on the sub. It seems to cause very tiny colour staining on the TV. I moved them as far as they would go apart now. About 0.6 meters and i cant see any more staining. Is it possible this is still affecting the TV or is it in safe limit now? If I move it 2 inches back again the staining reappears but is only VERY slight.

Cheers

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gareth,
    I have tannoy m3s at the front with an mc centre and the older type m10sub I was considering as one of my options...(currently saving for a sub).
    Just wondering what type of size of room have you if you do not mind me asking?
    My room is approx 5.5 metres by 4 metres and I was wondering does the sub sound powerful enough?????

Thanks in anticipation
    martinc

9. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well after putting the right settings on my amp and wearing in the sub with Saving Private Ryan DTS [​IMG] , all i can say is this sub is amazing! I have the volume on about a 1/3 up and it made a complete difference to my system. I dont know how i lived without it.

I often find the sub is a little too powerful for my room, so i turn it down. My room is about 3 x 4 metres, yes i know hardly a good room size, but its not that bad.

If i turn up the sub volume any more then my house simply cant cope and i start to get a few shouts from my parents "TURN IT DOWN!!!!"
    Good job i have a detached house!

This sub is very powerful and was really worth it. I only paid £209 for it from Audio Vision.

Highly Recommended!

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot Gareth for the feedback,now I know what sub to save for.I have always wanted to match the same sub but had some doubts.I only wanted feedback from someone who actually used it with similar speakers and you have convinced me Gareth.Thanks again for the info and good luck with your new sub.....

With Thanks
    martinc