1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub settings

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rifraf, May 26, 2003.

1. rifraf

rifraf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, just upgraded my system to yam 630 m74i front, m73i rear, m7c2 front and m5as sub. am confused as what to have my sub set at and how to adjust this via the amp as it is a bit boomy . other wise i'm well pleased.
    thanx for ur help.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The boomy bass will most probably be caused by the position of the sub.
    Try moving it around the room (no I'm not joking). Get the sub out of a corner often helps as does putting it at an angle to the walls.
    I'm afraid that getting the best out of the sub is down to trial and error. Keep moving it a little at a time until you are satisfied with the sound.
    Some people may suggest getting a BFD (Bahringer Feedback Destroyer). This unit will cost around £100 and will cut the frequencies that cause the boom. Some like this idea and some don't as part of the sound of the sub is being removed (and of course it costs more money :rolleyes: ).

Mark.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my sub directly facing my seating position (only place for it) and found it was booming a little. Have since spun it slightly to the right (around 20 degrees, on its own axis) and the improvement is amazing. Even had to turn the sub volume down quite a bit, so clearly it is more effective. Yet the bass feels the same as it was before when the volume was higher but the sub was facing me. So in addition to Mark's good advice, make sure your sub is a little angled :)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The BFD may be a solutions but it should only be used after you have tried to find a better position within the room. It may only need the sub moved a few inches to make a significant change.

It is also possible that you have it turned up too high.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember finding an old thread while I was faffing about with my sub, which is what made me experiment with turning mine down:

Until then, I always figured - "turn it up as much as you can stand" :blush: But it's true, lower volumes work much better for me now :)

6. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The simplest advice has always been "turn it down until you can't hear it, then turn it up a little." This can work, but it's really jus ta starting point. Try that, and then experiment. You want to be able to hear the lowest frequencies, but you don't want them to stand out from the rest of the frequency band. When you close your eyes, it should sound like everything is coming from your speakers.

It took me WEEKS to get good settings on my sub, and then I spent another month or two tweaking those to just the right settings. And then it blew up! AARGH! (But that's another story...)

As others have said, positioning is key. A slight shift in one direction or another - even just a few centimetres! - can mean the difference between boomy, woolly bass and tight, controlled perfection. Experiment! And then experiment some more. And then some more. Whoever said it was easy to position a subwoofer did NOT know how to properly position a subwoofer! ;) But nor did they have any inkling of how good their sub could sound.....

The other thing to watch out for is to make sure your crossover settings aren't too high. If the sub and your main speakers are overlapping too much it can cause nasty boom in the overlap band. Try turning the crossover down to minimum and see if the boom goes away. Then gradually turn it up again till it's at a good setting with no boom.

Ooh, another thing that really helped tighten up the sound with my sub was putting it on a paving slab. This may be a consideration if you have a suspended wooden floor. Marble, granite, etc are also recommended, though not quite as dirt cheap as concrete. :) I have mine covered in felt so it actually looks quite nice.

HTH,

Dunc

7. rifraf

rifraf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just like to sat a big thank you for all those who posted to my request for help with my sub. i have moved it diagonaly opposite corner but away from the sofa. also like squirell god said turned it down then started to turn it up. what a difference. i now know what a cracking sub i've got.
    well again many thanks.:D