Sub Settings/Switches

A

AndyGB

Hi

I have had a cheap Eltax sub for over a year now but have never had it plugged in as we were in the process of moving and then decorating so my AV system has only just been put back together again. But now it comes to it I can't find the damn manual, so have no idea what the switches on the back do.

It is an Atomic A-8 and has a Phase switch that can be set to 0 degrees or 180 degrees, a low pass frequency dial which ranges from 50 Hz to 250 Hz and a subwoofer level dial (I assume volume) ranging from 0 to 10.

Can anyone tell me what these do and what I should set them to ? The rest of my audio equipment is a Denon 3801 and Mission M72 series fronts, M70 centre and M70 DS surrounds.

It also has high level out and high level in spring clips as well as a line input phono socket, are these used for connecting to the amp if you don't use a phono lead ?

I know that in the future I will probably need to upgrade it but at the moment that isn't an option.

Many thanks

Reiner

It is an Atomic A-8 and has a Phase switch that can be set to 0 degrees or 180 degrees, a low pass frequency dial which ranges from 50 Hz to 250 Hz and a subwoofer level dial (I assume volume) ranging from 0 to 10.
Set the cross-over to max (250Hz) and let the AV amp/receiver handle the bassmanagement.
If the sub is placed between the fronts then choose the 0 degree setting, else it's a matter or trying (in which position does the sub sound in sync with the fronts).
Keep the volume control as low as possible and adjust from the AV amp, only if you can't increase the level from there sufficiently (using the menu) turn the dial at the sub itself. Use a SPL meter for accurate adjustments.

It also has high level out and high level in spring clips as well as a line input phono socket, are these used for connecting to the amp if you don't use a phono lead ?
Yes, the high level connections are also called speaker level connections, mostly used with stereo amps (because usually they don't have a (line level) subwoofer output). Most subs can only use one connection at a time.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom