sub set up help!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rogerw, Jan 31, 2002.

1. rogerw

rogerw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Ihave been given a Sony sub SA-W10 it's old but it works.
    I have a Sherwood amp which has L&R sub outputs the Sony only has one sub input, which is the best way to connect it?
    Also is it better to run speaker leads via the sub to the amp or by direct connection via the sub input.
    How the hell do you work out how to set up the cut off frequency on the sub.
    All suggestions will be gratefully accepted
    Cheers

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Look at articles at HCC, then searc the FAQ for subwoofer.
    The amp manual may say something about using one sub out from the amp.
    Cut of frequency depends on several things. Movies or music, small or large speakers, etc. Tell us about the rest of the system, stereo or surround, what other speakers do you have?
    I set the crossover to bypass (or max) to movies, letting the amp do the bass management. For music i set the crossover to 45hz, wich is were my B&W 604s2 is going below -3db, then the amp is in direct mode.
    Good luck.

3. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,003
    Rogerw ,

Use the 'L' output on your Sherwood amp to your sub as this is the mono output.
    Don't connect your speakers to your sub, use a rca type phono lead from amp to sub only. Then set the crossover on your amp, 80 - 90 if you can.
    Do you have any discs with a THX optimode setup option, if so this can help. There are also various ways of positioning your sub, which will give different results.

Have fun !
    Kev

4. rogerw

rogerw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mozzer,
    Thanks for the reply it was very helpful. Some where in the forum someone suggested getting the dvd Cast away as it had a set up mode for speakers in its extras, bought the disc can find nothing on it. So where can i get this thx set up disc, my dvd is region 2 only, i'm a novice.
    cheers

5. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,003
    Rogerw,

You can get specific setup discs ' Video essentials' for one. But more recent discs that are THX certified have a setup option built into the extras menu.

You can just set it up using your ears, but you are better using a setup guide or 'SPL' meter as a starting point . Then tweaking the arrangement from there.

If you want a specific setup disc try some online retailers. I have the Video Essentials disc but it's region 1.

Kev