1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub : seems to work OK, but silent for test tones (amp & THX)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by driver8, May 16, 2005.

1. driver8

driver8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hoping someone can help.

Just bought the Canton CD1 from the powerbuy thread; pleased with the sound, but I'm a bit naive as it's my 1st sub and proper 5.1 spk set. It's a simple setup :

Tosh sd220 dvd - optical - marantz 4200 rcvr - phono (sub pre-out) - sub

sounds good with movies - Matrix lobby scene sounds beefy enough ! (and the sub *is* firing - I can feel the air displacement).

But weirdly, when I run the amp test tone setup, or run the setup from a THX disc (Lilo & Stitch) the sub is totally silent. Does anyone know why this would be ?

I've done the obvious things, like checking the wiring, up-ing the vol on the sub and twiddling the gain, up-ing the sub vol (and changing the LFE off/0/-10) on the amp. Can't think of anything else ! :confused: Am I doing something wrong ? ( I don't want to worry about my amp or sub being faulty just yet ! )

TIA for any advice ! :)

I did search, but the only similar hit I could find was this from 2004, and it didn't get an answer ! - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122342

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The test tone on the thx disc is quite low in frequency so you my not get much out of the sub, i would have thought you would get something out of the test tones on the amp.I don't know the amp or how it works but it seems that the sub is working fine so it could be an amp setting.

3. driver8

driver8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks bob1

so 'cos it's a cheapie, it can't reach the lower freqs for the TXH disc ? But surely I'd hear ~80hz from the sub, at least ?

anyone any clues as to what amp setting/s might need adjusting ?

:confused:

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The tone on the thx dvd disc's sounds like a 20hz tone to me and canton goes down to 33hz so that could account for the lack of output on that one.
    You should get a tone from the amps test tones no problem , i don't know the settings on your amp but check to see if speakers are set to small and the sub is set to yes/on.If i set the lfe mix to off on my amp i get no output from the sub with the test tones in the amp.
    Another option is to get some test tones on a cd and play them through your dvd player.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    There shouldn't be any "tones" on a THX optimiser. :confused:
    Pink noise for channel and phase calibration plus a frequency sweep.

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Ok its just noise but when it comes to the lfe channel it sounds like a 20hz tone but i could be wrong.
    Maybe we should start calling it test noise and not test tone. :rolleyes: :D

8. driver8

driver8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks everyone for their comments - thought I'd better report back just in case anyone else has the same problem, or even worse, someone decides not to buy the Canton CD1 system !

Good news - sub's OK now ... bad news is, I'm not entirely sure why ! I *think* my amp wasn't 'clever' enough on the THX disc to detect which mode to be in (that's a whole different thing !), but that doesn't explain why the amp's test wasn't working ... ! I could switch from :

TESTS (not working) -> dvd move (working) -> TESTS (not working)

So it was probably a loose connection somewhere, as in the meantime I've been tidying up all my cabling (perhaps so only some of the signal was getting to the sub ?? - I'm cautious with the volume of the tests, less so for a movie).

AND I *can* hear the extreme low notes from the THX setup disc - almost an organic rumble ! Certainly low enough for me !