Sub-Sat Setup Questions

swall101

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Picked up my new Sub today, Velodyne CHT10-R.

My existing speaker set up is the Kef 2005 package(eggs) and my amp is a Denon 3802.

I've had a fiddle about with the settings etc but would like some opinions on set up as follows:

1. Crossover on amp set at 80hz speaker size smll, and set to direct on sub. Due to the size of the eggs would it be better to set the crossover to 100hz? (I tried a music cd during set up and the bass seemed to be too strong from the eggs, worried about damaging them)

2. I've got a digital sound meter which I have used to set the speakers to 75db at my listening position via the test tones. Does the same apply to the sub, set to 75db as well?

3. When I picked up the sub today, I asked the assistant about using my existing sub(Kef PSW2000) within the set up. His suggestion was to connect the sub via phono to the center out to give the center channel more depth. Is this something anyone has done/heard of before?

cheers

Steve

1. Don't worry about damaging your speakers. You won't. I'd be inclined to use the crossover at 100Hz in this instance, perhaps even 120Hz depending on your room layout.

2. It does apply to the sub as well. If you really want to fine tune it, read Nimby's sticky on sub setup and create a frequency response plot (after you've set the level). You can then adjust the phase to help integration.

3. It's certainly heard of although I havn't tried it myself. Only way to find out is to try it, you'll probably need to set the centre speaker to large and it may cause problems with distortion and standing waves with your new Velodyne.

Hope that helps a bit :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom