1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Sat recommenation

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Grandad, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Grandad

Grandad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help, I am setting up a suround 5.1 system in a large room 6 x 10m. I have to use small speakers but the size of the sub is not so important.
    I have the following on the short list. Kef Eggs. JM Labs Sib Cub. Elac Cinema 2. Energy 5.1.
    Are the Kef's and JM's worth twice as much as the others?
    I will be using a HK 2550 or Yamaha Dsp ax630, will be trying this week but would like to make the speaker list shorter before the demo.
    I only want 5.1, so should I go for the ax620 which is cheaper?
    Any help will be appreciated, Thanks.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you decide on the Energy's, or are buying a seperate Sub, then you might be interested in the following:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57735

This is the Sub that comes with the Take 5.2 system and is much improved over the Take 5.1 Sub.

I can't be off much help regarding your questions, suffice to say I choose the Energy's over the Kef Eggs after extensive auditioning. I have also heard the Elac Cinema One and was not impressed. The Cinema Two might be vastly improved though.

:).

3. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Give the B&W 600 s3's a listen too. Great little speakers. :)

MuFu.

4. Grandad

Grandad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replys,which I will bear in mine. Not much choice at our local dealer for a demo. Latest idea is the Acoustic Energy Aego P5, any thoughts? I can demo this and then look for the best price.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Nice setup, but I think it will battle to fill your large room. Look for some good quality bookshef models like Kef or B&W and then add the best (biggest) sub you can afford.

Avoid the Yamaha 620, I recently sold mine 'cos it was a bit boring sounding and too warm for my tastes, esp. with music. I reckon the newer 630 is more exciting & has PLII which IMO is invaluable. :)

6. gdickin2

gdickin2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stay well away from the Aego P5. My room is 15'x25' and I spoke to AE directly and they said the Aego P5 would be under powered for my room. I have a Marantx 4200 which is 5 channel with DPLII and is a bargain at Richer Sounds at the moment. I paired it with Mission FS2-AV's and the setup is great. If your dealer doesn't have FS2's try FS1's.