1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub/sat or larger?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by planbeta, May 20, 2002.

1. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi.

I am building up my home cinema and am trying to figure out what speaker system to have, for my 12ft x 10ft room.

Some of the sub/sat systems seem quite attractive, such as the INFINITY MODULUS, KEF KH2005, ENERGY TAKE 5.2, CELESTION AVP305. Are these sets any good? Or would something like the B&W 600 S3 (DM601 x 2, DM602 x 2 and LCR60) be better.

Cut short, are there any decent sub/sat systems that provide you with quality sound AND quality bass and volume, or could these never compete with 'proper' speakers?

Thanks.

2. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B&W
    603 S3 Fronts
    601 S3 Surrounds
    601 S3 Rear Surrounds (Optional if have DTS ES or DDEX Amp)
    LCR 60 Centre
    series 3 B&W Sub

Hi Planbeta
    I think that if your were to demo the B&W set up that you listed it will win hands down although there a number of good sat packages out there i personally feel that they don't come close to a B&W set, but this is just my personal taste. Go for a Demo and hear for yourself.
    given the size of your room i think the 603 S3's woul be a good choice for fronts
    hope this is of help
    Samir
    P.S Welcome to the AV Forum

3. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Samir.

I've been looking at the B&W's very keenly, the guys at sevenoaks confirm what you say, that a system like this would outperform most sub/sat system.

The system I have in mind is something like this:

DM602 S3 Fronts
    DM601 S3 Surrounds
    LCR60 S3 Centre

With a £400-£500 sub - Rel Q150e?

And maybe the smaller DM600 S3 for rears (7.1)

Would this not be overkill for a 12ft by 10ft room? Or should I stick with 5.1 instead?

Cheers :clown:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Definately not overkill as we are talking about quality of sound and not loudness. If you feel that it is overkill use the smaller B&W's all round.

5. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok I you've convinced me to go for the larger speakers...but the question is which ones. The B&W's listed above seem quite good but so do the KEF's:

Q1 Front
    Q1 Back
    Q9c Centre
    Q8s Rear

This 7.1 system is a few £100 cheaper than the equivilant B&W's, has anyone else got either of these speakers - if so how do they rate them?

Cheers ;)

6. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Planbeta
    If you check the past threads there is a very good review of the Q1's by Uncle Eric and boy does this man know stuff. He spoke of using three pairs with 1 as a centre and 1 as a rear surround (6.1). Check it out
    Also regarding REL Q150e, in my experence Sevenoaks always try to push this sub which they are in love with, but a great number have had a humming problem.
    I did hear this sub on demo when i got my Denon 3802 and yeah it was good but I'm now using a Paradigm PS 1000 and I'm going to add a second very soon and personlly feel that this this dual sub set up kicks the REL out of the park and £200 cheaper.

Paradigm PS 1000 = £150 (With the ad from What Hifi) From RS
    REL Q150e =£500 Sevenoaks

P.S
    what is rest of your set up

P.P.S
    I would go for B&W with 2 Subs but thats Me

Samir:D

7. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Overkill is a myth
    well it is in my house
    :D

My Room is 4mx5m and i use
    Fronts Mission M74
    Centre Mission 77C1
    Surrounds Mission 702e
    Rear Surrounds Mission 700e (Stand mounted)
    Sub Paradigm PS 1000 (so to be 2)

And i feel that this is nowhere near overkill and it gives very good sound at low volume with no loss of effects.

Samir
    :)

8. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hope you don’t mind me butting in here, but I much prefer full range speakers to sub/sat set-ups. Despite what people say, I can normally always deduce the direction of the sub, which I personally find distracting.

My answer is B&W DM604 S3 for Front and Surround, LCR600 S3 for Centre and 2 x ASW675 subwoofers symmetrically positioned (when they are available).

Speaker presence is assured!

Mark

9. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good to me.:D

10. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would it be worth getting 7 Q1's and going the full 7.1?

Also how would you use a Q1 for the center speaker - it would look a bit odd on my tv, surely the Q9 would be better suited here?

Cheers!!:cool:

11. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you check out Uncle Eric's thread
    "Best Speaker for 250 pounds"
    This should answer some of your Q's

samir

12. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi,
    I have used a set of AVS-500 Mirage Subsat speakers (similar in proportions and performance to the Energy Take 5.2 set) in a Home cinema room which closely resembles yours for size, and in this room they perform brilliantly, exceeding my expectations for a subsat system, both sounding large and cinematic.

I would say that for your choice it very much depends on your aims and your equiptment.

The AVS-500 system was chosen by me because of the needs of the room,
    1) there was a shortage of space in such a small room, so small speakers were chosen.
    2) projection screen limited amount of room for the front and center speakers (big speakers would not fit).
    3) wanted a complete matched set to buy in one go, to avoid hunting for more.
    4) they suited the 100hz crossover in the Amp.
    5) and most importantly they only cost me £200 for all 5 satalites and the Sub and were available when I needed them.

However on the other hand if your small room is just a stepping stone, to a larger venue, larger speakers would perhaps give you more future flexibility.
    In the end your choice depends on what you are eventually aiming for.

Paul.

13. titanax

titanax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is measuring 4x2.7m (13x8.8ft), and I am looking at the either the Mission speakers or the Diamond 8s.

Problem is, will floorstanders be an overkill, considering the size of my room or would bookshelfs be ideal? Samir in your case your room is bigger than 4x4m, so floorstanders are ideal for you. But I noticed that you mix drivers, will that affect overall quality even though they are from the same maker?

I would really love a suggestion for speakers for HT config., its either the Diamond 8s:

Front Diamond 8.2s
    Centre Diamond 8 centre
    Rear Diamond 8.1s
    Sub Diamond 8 DFS

or Missions (I'm slightly for the Missions tho :))

Front 781s
    Centre 78c
    Rear 78ds
    or
    Mision m72 Cimema Package

Any comments on the 78series vs m70 series, other than the price that is !! ;)
    Do I need a sub with these packages? Should they be from the same maker, I was actually eyeing the MJ Acoustics Pro-50, or is it advisable to go for the Pro 100?

Decisions! Decisions!! :confused:

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Titanax,

I can't comment on your choice of speakers as I haven't heard them. I used to have full range floorstanders that could handle bass well but the difference when I bought a sub was tremendous.

The question of voice coil matching doesn't arise with subwoofers so you can buy any make with confidence. The only proviso is that a cheap sub is probably worse than no sub at all.

The MJ Acoustics subs have received good reviews from What Hifi and elsewhere and I was quite impressed when I heard them at the Bristol show.

The Pro 100 would be too powerful in your room but the 50 should suit you nicely