1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Sat Help - audition this w/end

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by copels, Dec 11, 2002.

1. copels

copels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to upgrade my home cinema and music system.

I plan to purchase Yamaha 630RDS this weekend but am undecided about the Sub/sat package.

I was originally going for the KEF eggs but reading the posts here they don't get a good review!

I am demoing the KEFs and Gallos this w/end with the Yamaha 630RDS. I have a Jamo sub (not sure which one) and the option to buy a second hand Yamaha sub so was only going to buy the speakers.

Are there any other speakers I should try? I want to use them 50% for home cinema, 50% for music. I see the ELACs get a good review here.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

2. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also do about 50/50 music/movies and demo'd the eggs. Went for the Energy Take 5.2 package in the end from Sevenoaks. Very pleased so far.

3. copels

copels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what these are - are they acoustic energy? Can't find them in my magazines. How much do they cost and how big are they?

Steve

4. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been deming speakers to go with a denon 2800 mkii & 3802 and was going to get the eggs until i'd had a dem of the jmlabs?

The Sib/cub setup is more open and gives a lot better presentation than the kefs imho. I think you can get just the sats on there own.

So maybe add those to your dem list

As far as adding another make of sub to the sats, not sure that the tone of the different makes of sats your looking at will match the jamo or yamy sub?

Maybe you guys that have gone down this route could comment?

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Subs don't have a "tone", so mixing sub and sat brands should be fine. However mixing diff. subs ie Jamo and Yamaha together, can get messy.

6. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    copels - Energy Speakers:-
    www.energy-speakers.com

Quite well rated in mags like What Hi-Fi etc.

The sats are 19cm high (iirc) and either in black or maple+silver.

5 sats and sub were £750, but I think the sub is about £300 of that amount.

I demo'd the eggs with the sub that is sold as part of the same package and thought it was pretty poor for music. Other people seem to quite like them though if you use a different sub.