sub required 4 someone livin in a flat

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by andrew constant, Sep 23, 2004.

1. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    as i live in a flat i dont realy want to blast the people below me with sound so is there a foreward fireing sub you could recomend !

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Budget style other kit owned???? Speakers especially!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    There isn't a great deal of difference between forward and downward firing subs in terms of sound transmission.

I did post exactly the same questions as Mr H Dragon but my post disappeared into the ether. Anyone got Mulder's phone number :confused:

4. Fonzerelli

Fonzerelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They dont exhist mate :D i live in a flat and searched high and low for the answer, but it just doesnt exhist, midnight listening mode on an amp helps but not too much.

I just went down stairs and explained to my neighbour i love films and want to watch them properly, if im ever getting on their nerves they can come and say something :D they wher every reasonable, and im the same back so dont watch films at 3am etc.

5. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,587
    I live in a flat above a shop and have a flat above me, which actually had people moving into today, so although I'd love to be able to play the system as if it was a detached house, I simply don't!

I've found that listening to the TV (through the amp and Velodyne Deco system) at normal levels is ok and I've not had any problems.

I'm very courteous to the folks around me because it's a rented flat and is owned by the company below me, and I've had noisy neighbours before so I know how unpleasant it can be.

Another reason for me to not play stuff loud enough to wake the dead is... The shop below me is a funeral parlour!!!!

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    It should never be forgotten that the smiling faces and nods of acceptance change rapidly once you've gone back upstairs. Living with a noisy neighbour can be a form of hell. Nobody likes to complain for fear of reprisal or even more noise! They might think you're a lunatic. I might too! :rolleyes:

Listening (in a flat) after 10pm should really be confined to headphones. Ask your neighbours politely if they go shopping all day on Saturday. So you can turn it up a bit. Some people never go out though. :)

If I had a neighbour in the flat above with a subwoofer I'd sign on at the local pistol shooting range for some useful practice. Then take the "toys" for my new hobby home with me for some more practice! :devil:

Nimby

7. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,587
    Well once I meet the new neighbours, I'll probably invite them round, if I think they are ok, to watch a movie or have a meal or something.

8. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Can't use a sub in my flat either as the floors are all wooden instead of concrete. I've stuck with small floorstanders on low stands which go down to about 50Hz. The lady downstairs sometimes plays bassy jazz music turned up a bit and we sometimes turn our system up a bit. However, as suggested after 10pm we turn things down. I'm actually considering getting a couple of pairs of surround headphones from Play so we can watch stuff late at night.

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    To get away with haveing a sub at reasonably loud levels you can always put it on an isolation platform.
    I live in a flat and my Velodyne DD-15 is rated at well over 1000w and when setting the thing up was shaking the furniture in my bedroom :devil: , but normally I only have it running fairly low. The Auralex Gramma isolation platform has reduced the amount of bass travelling through to my neigbours allowing me to have the sub up that bit higher (and still not get evicted :nono: ). I was surprised at just how much difference it made, and the bonus is that it even helped to improve the sound in my livingroom :smashin: .

Mark.

10. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i have concrete floors in my flat iand i can still hear their music so they must hear mine.

11. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst the idea has merit :D , they were banned years ago :mad: :mad:

12. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I used to live in a flat and the main thing I discovered is that in this kind of living enviroment you need to have a little bit of give and take. I would hear my neighbours tv or music from time to time and I'm pretty sure they would hear my music and films pumping out too. I wasn't too bothered about noise as it made me feel less guilty about making it too, but the big consideration is the time of day that you choose.
    I did have a neighbour under us once that used to complain at every bit of noise to the point that you thought you dare'nt fart without getting a complaint!!! :mad:
    There is no real need to scrimp on a sub just because you live in a flat as there is always the option of setting it a couple of db quieter or being sensible with the main volume. Also, if there is one thing that I have discovered with subs is that you don't just get more headroom, extension, slam, etc. from more expensive subs, but many more expensive offerings may provide more natural bass characteristics like accurate reproduction of an upright bass or fretless bass guitar.

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I live in a ground floor flat and have a nice MS309 at the moment. As Stellavision said You dont have to compromise you just have to be a little more respectable to your neighbours with respect to your bass levels. I have also found placing the sub on a paving slab will stop some of the bass transmitting through the floors. :smashin:

Now I have to remember what i have just said when the SVS PB10-ISD arrives :devil: