1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub purchase and decoder or new amp

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bassman, Oct 31, 2001.

1. bassman

bassman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)
    I am looking to purchase a SUB to add to my existing B&W SPEAKER (603 FRONT L&R CC6 CENTRE 601-S2 REAR L&R) set up.

My amp is a SONY TAVA8ES

My budget is £500-£700.

I listen to music and watch dvd movies regularly so am looking to add sub which works with both music & movies.

I want a sub that's position is FREE so can be sighted anywhere in the room.

I have read that the REL Q150E is a good sub.

I want some impartial advice on what sub's I should be considering.

I would also like to know if it is worthwhile buying a YAMAHA DSPE800 DOLBY DIG PROCESSOR to add to my existing amp as I want DTS output, or should I ust buy a new amp which has DTS and if so which amp should I go for, budget for amp £500 - £1000

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    Hi Bassman,

With your budget, you could go for a Q200E Rel (currently £380 for ex-demo in the classifieds, or £600 new), or maybe something like a Paradigm Servo15. That looks like a seriously potent sub for only £500 from Richer Sounds. I went for a Rel due to cost and size.

Read the Servo15 review and see why it sounds so good! :O) I would have bought one if my ht room wasn't in my loft, and if I wasn't terraced. Sick bags would not have been a problem though (see the review).

As for a processor or new amp, you could try the Denon 3802 receiver which also does 6.1 surround and DPL2, and it can be had for as little as £630 from such places as www.hifijunkies.co.uk. I think that has got to be the best value with regards to features for your money.

I use mine for movies, but you may want to use it for music too, and I'm not so sure how it would perform if you're a purist.

A demo of course would help you decide.

HTH

Gary.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You may also want to check out the Monitor Audio ASW110, cute little sub with a fast driver - hence very suitable for music - but also enough slam for movies (switchable audio/video).