Sub purchase advice please for MA BX5 setup

Camelsham

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, newbie in need of advice. My current setup in my apartment (5m by 6m room) is :

Yamaha RX V671
MA Bronze BX5s
MA BX Centre
MA BXFX being set up this week
Searchin for perfect Sub

Vbox
Panasonic Bluray
Nintendo Wii

Moving to a house so can now consider adding a subwoofer.

Have lookied at the MA BXW10 sub but not convinced for the money. Also reading that no need to match the sub. Any advice on best sub options for my setup appreciated please? Budget £300 to £400.

50/50 music and cinema use.

Thanks! :smashin:

You really should look at options from BK electronics. They make the best bang for buck subs in that price range and they are good quality products as well.

Thanks. Reviews on the forum certainly make BK a favourite choice. Seen some comments regarding humming - something to worry about or very few with this issue?

For my setup looks like the XLS200 would be the right fit as closest spec to the MA BXW10? Gemini to small? Or worth upgrade to the XXLS400? Dont think
I need to go to big as prefer lower volumes for detail if that makes sense.

go for a 400, it will just add so much more.

Thanks. I see can get a Walnut finish that hopefully should match the Monitor Audio Walnut finish of my speakers.

PS - walked into local Richer Sounds and was recommend the Cambridge Audio Minx X300 as a good option for me. Any thoughts on this option?

The x300 is an 8" 300W sub, simple physics says it has no chance of keeping up with the 12" xxls400..

I have taken my xxls400 into my local richer sounds as the manager is a mate. The x500 did not touch the 400 in the demo room. Even the staff in the shop,,,,,,,which is obviously outside the demo room, were wondering why the speakers on the shelf above the til were rattling.

Go figure?

Steve

Another recommendation for BK from me.

My XXLS400 integrates wonderfully with my Monitor Audio RS6, BRLCR & Radius 45HD setup.

Musically it is very competent and really adds another dimension to movies.

BK's Dark Walnut matches the real wood veneer of the RS6's very well. However, I think the BX's are lighter and may suit the standard Walnut finish.

Sweet. Thanks for all the posts. :thumbsup:
Spoke to BK and a walnut finish sample on its way to me to check against the BX5 finish - will report back here on that.
They stated 10 days for build and delivery.

You will not be disappointed with the 400

Well chuffed with mine

Got the samples through from BK for Walnut and Mahogany. Not the best match - see pic. Have to consider if go with that or black. Hmmm.

Attachments

• BK Sub  finishes.jpg
    BK Sub finishes.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 134
I don't think the walnut matches too badly - I believe wood matches wood a lot better than a big black box after all...

Hi there, maybe try the dark walnut?

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
The is also dark walnut.

This is a XXLS400-FF in dark walnut with MA RS6's. The slivers are finished in real wood and are a bit darker than the bronzes.

image-3369564733.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go with the dark walnut - better to have a clear contrast in colour than a poor attempt at matching!

I don't think the walnut matches too badly - I believe wood matches wood a lot better than a big black box after all...

Agreed, I have the walnut Mono and it is a stand alone piece of furniture, with other woods and wood finshes in the room it won't matter as wood does match with wood every time

Too much complication in your choice, especially if you are going to tuck it into a corner or behind something, just roll with it.

Update
Bought the xls200 in the end due to multiple reasons (budget, space, other half ...). Liking the initial sound. Need to play with settings to get right.

Looks and feels really well built. Walnut in the end is a great finish and match to the monitor audio finish.

Pic in current location attached. All temporary as moving from apartment to a house in a month when can really test it out properly.

Thanks for all the advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 133

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom