1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub problems

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Jimmy D, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hello everyone, I am new to all this so here goes. I have bought a Sony 5.1 amp which is connected to a Sony DVD player. My speakers are Mission FS2's and all are linked by appropriate cables etc. My problem is that when the DVD sends the intial signal to my Mission sub a humming noise is heard. If I then turn the sub off and back on the noise goes away. I spoke to Mission about this and they suggested earthing the DVD player via a wire to my radiator. Can somebody help pleasssssssssssse!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy D
  2. AMc

Nov 20, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Near Norwich
    It sounds like a ground loop problem (from what I understand).
    I had a similar problem when there was no bass being sent to the sub it would hum.
    I 'solved' it by pulling the phono connector half out from the sub so only the central pin is connected and the outer ground is not. Sub still works fine and the hum is gone.
    At some point I will sort out a lead with the ground pin disconnected but for now this has cured the problem - much to my relief and my partner's. She was about to go mad if I went behind the TV again in search of the dreaded hum which she said she didn't hear!

BTW this might have been more appropriate in the cabling forum?