1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub pops when amp put on standby

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by themoid, Jan 18, 2005.

1. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    as it says in the title, when i put the amp on standby at night the sub (Xls200) pops, quite loudly if the amp was turned up a bit.

question is, is this going to damage the sub, and if so what should / can i do ?

cheers

Stu

2. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Thermoid

I don't know what the problem is, maybe the noise is coming from the amp when going into standby. The sub should be fine as it is designed to handle quite high excursions that said I don't know how loud the pop is. Is there anyway you can turn the sub off before switching your amp into standby.

Tom

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I have a similar problem with my MJ ref 100, execpt that it pops when its own amp is switched off.

I have been assured by MJ that this is not a problem, and the sub is still fine after about 18 months nightly use.

4. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Tom

I'm leaving my XLS200 on constantly, which means I get a pop when I turn my amp on (not noticed one when I turn it off yet).

The sub's been sited in quite an awkward to reach corner (for which read child-proof), so turning it on / off each time the systerm is in use would be quite a pain.

Am I doing it any harm by leaving it switched on constantly and getting this popping at power-up?

Theo

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I had a similar issue with my BFD, whenever I switched it off my sub popped. I just leave the BFD on 24-7 now, sips a bit more electricity, but won't do the sub any harm.

Are you powering your amp off completely or just hitting the remote standby button?

It is more likely an issue with the amp rather than the sub.

6. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I dont want to be cheeky so if a moderator thinks I'm blatantly advertising please remove this post. We do an RF mains remote that might help you over this problem they can be found here http://www.bkelec.com/new/Special_Offers/sp12.htm

Tom

7. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    it pops when the amp is turned on (or on from standby) or turned off / put on standby. i tend to turn the volume right down so the pop is hardly heard. i thought it would be an issue with the amp (Marantz 5300), was just a little concerned that it would damage the sub...

ta for the replies :)