1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Popping

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dan666, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive done a few searches for this problem but cant seem to find any relevant threads.

I have an Eltax Millenium Power Tower which pops intermittently. Most of the other threads describe the same problem, but usually its when switching the sub on or off, or when listening to loud LF effects.

My symptoms seem to occur at random; sometimes it happens when playing at a low volume, sometimes when my Pioneer VSX-C300 receiver has been muted, and it happens with any of the three sources I have connected to it.

The sub power has an auto-sense, but this is always on before and after it happens.

It maybe worth noting that I have used this same receiver with another sub/speaker set-up with none of these problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Godd though the eltax stuff is for the money, I would suggest moving up to a subwoofer made by a dedicated subwoofer manufacturer. REL, MJ Acoustics, Velodyne, Paradigm, SVS, etc et.

3. woosey

woosey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do you mean by poping?

4. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive changed the title of this thread because it may well be that its not just the sub suffering from this 'pop' - with the sub being integrated into one of the floorstanders, its difficult to tell which is making the noise.

5. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive made a firther development on this.

I was rearranging some of my components when I discovered that when I unplugged my TV from the cheap 6-way power strip that my sub is also powered from, it made the same loud pop. Same thing happenned when I plugged the TV back in, and also occurred with other items I unplugged.

Has anyone else experienced this? Im assuming that the sub is sensitive to fluctuations in the mains current when other items are plugged and unplugged nearby.

How can I combat this? Would a surge protected power strip be of any help (i'll soon be getting one anyway) or would it require some kind of mains filter (ie Russ Andrews, Isoplug etc)?

TIA

6. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lost contents

7. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply wookie.

I intend to buy the silver 8-way RCD strip with phone and Aerial inputs from Maplins. Hopefully that should clear it up.

If not, I'll try an Isoplug.