1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Placement

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Bogside, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    I know this topic has been covered before but I'm looking for an opinion on the following:

My living room and dining room have been knocked in to one with an archway between. All my speakers are in the living room. But I'm wondering wether there would be a problem with putting my sub in the dining room. This would mean that it's around 4 or 5 feet behind me (and therefore behind the rear sats).

I know subs are non-directional so what I want to know is whether there is any problem with placing the sub so far behind the rest of the sound field?

(If it matters I'm using the Kef 2005 package)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sub bass below 50Hz (ish) is supposed to be non directional but the woofer used with the KEF Eggs will be asked to perform at higher frequencies than that and will probably become directional.

There is only one way to be sure and that is to try it as some people will hear the bass direction at lower frequencies than others.

3. Bogside

Bogside

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    Thanks Ian

You've actually given me more to worry about now. I was planning on putting it into an alcove but it sounds like that could be even worse. I'll play around with it over the weekend and see how things go.