Sub placement

andyc11

Established Member
Reaction score
Just in the final stages of finishing a fairly basic cinema room in a basement. Wondering if there’s a ‘standard’ position for sub placement. Current placement as below and equipment summary:

Denon AVRX 2700
Dali Zensor 5.1 (fronts potentially being upgraded to Oberon floorstanders)
BK XLS 200 sub

Seating position is where the bean bag is (some cinema seats going in shortly) and I’m seeing most subs are placed at the front of the 5.1 setup. I’m likely to be installing some upwards firing Atmos speakers in the future on top of the fronts, as well as debating whether to run a 5.2.2 setup with matching XLS200. Based on current setup, is my sub in the wrong place?
63CBDC20-CC1B-44C2-9F1E-50E08F1F77C6.jpeg

I'd be inclined to say yes. It for optimal sound would be in one of the front corners so based on your setup I'd have it under your screen facing same direction as the speaker i.e. outwards... the only reason I know this is, I had my pro calibrated before Xmas and he said in most cases the sub should be in the corner if possible.

Completely room dependent. Google subwoofer crawl for a basic way to check it. or download REW and you can use a room sim to try different spots. Need to find a place with even bass.

Id second the room sim idea and it will probably be best in a front corner. Looking at the pic thta might be a little difficult so a rear corner. You can add a second sub in the room sim just to see if there would be merit in a second sub ......... or a 4th!

Thanks all, decided to stick my old sub in the rear with my new one at the front in opposite corners. Much better and less ‘boomy’, but still need to tweak some settings.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom