1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sub placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sparkrite, Apr 4, 2005.

1. sparkrite

sparkrite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Guys,
    Just about to start cabling up my "cinema room",where do you all think the bust placement of the sub would be?

Thanks in advance , Mike

p.s.

room 4 x 3.5 m..yam 650...canton cd1

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The sub placement is very important, not because the sound is directional but because of the acoustics of the room which will cause the subs frequency responce to vary a lot depending on where you place it. Having the sub next to you isn't that bad an idea because you will get much more direct vs indirect sound. I've seen the SVS guys recommend this for large rooms.

3. sparkrite

sparkrite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    So what about placing the centre on top of the sub??

4. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Ideally the sub should be placed in the corner of the room where the strongest two walls meet. No partition walls, preferably outside walls. This increases the efficiency of the subwoofer so it doesn't have to work as hard. If you have to, try all corners and see which sounds best, you'd be suprised at the difference.

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uhhh, doesn't that also make it boom and resonate like crazy? Mine sounded awful in the corner, I moved it a few feet out of the corner and it was a lot cleaner (MS309).

I thought previous advice was to place it where you sit with a test tone on, find the spot in the room where the resonance is the least and put it there. Of course I have inconvenient sofas and things in the way so am stuck with only one corner to place mine in!

6. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Obviously moving things around a few inches can make all the difference. It's trial and error. Rel will recommend putting a sub in the corner, as will M&K. This will increase it's output by about 3db, which means the sub doesn't have to work as hard, so it can be pushed further before it starts struggling. If you put a sub in the middle of the room, you will have to turn it up higher to get the same volume, the cone will travel further and will be harder to control. Please try it, until it was demonstrated to me, i was sceptical. I've heard the difference. Please try all corners before dismissing it :)

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    sparkrite

I'd suggest you run one (possibly two) lengths of sub interconnect to suitable skirting/wall plates and give yourself the flexibility of then plugging in an extension cable to your sub and using your ears to work out the best placement.

Having two walls plates is really only necessary if you have a large room and don't want long trailing cables should you find the optimum position for the sub is not close to where you put a single wall plate; keep in mind you'll require power sockets too.

The only sure fire method for determine sub positioning in a virtual sense is to pay someone to 'model' your room for you in software and give you precise placement details for all of your loudspeakers - I believe Piers at Home Cinema Engineering offers this service ( see banner adds).

Best regards

Joe

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Indeed...sticking it in a corner will load the bass and make it louder...you are basically energising the room modes..... So if you're lucky in shape of your room it might be OK and if you're unlucky it'll be an unaturally boomy mess, the larger the room the more you're likely to get away with it...the smaller the room you are asking for a headache.

The correct and sensible approach is to try and get the thing in the correct place so you get the smoothest frequency response in your seating position or in the range of seats that your viewers will be in.

I'm with Joe in ths one...excpet I'd say you can't do it by modeling either really...well perhaps a little...I have the software for it too.....best to get Piers to come down and actually measure what is happening in room and deal with it that way.

Gordon