Sub placement - what to do!

SilverPenguin7

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all :hiya:

I'm in the middle of having a large open plan kitchen/diner created in the house we moved in to 2 months ago. The house was already extended so we've knocked down some internal walls to open up the back of the house.

This has left a single partition wall between the new open space and a separate 12 x 15 living room which houses my main HC set-up. I shall be hanging my 65VT50 on this wall (once wall's rebuilt, as the current one wasn't done very well) in the separate living room but here in lies my problem...

Where to place the sub (a Rel 305).

I have two options:

1) Where it is now, in the left corner of the room as you sit and face the tv. This would mean leaving the AV gear on a unit of some sort under the wall mounted tv.

2) Along the middle of the wall, under the TV, requiring me to place the AV gear in the left hand corner in a vertical rack (where the sub currently lives)

The wiring is all being hidden in the new wall, so I need to work the placement out before that is knocked down and rebuilt. I'm thinking I'll need to get someone to give me a hand pulling the entire tv bench forward asap so I can put the sub behind it to get an idea of the middle of the wall sound (although it'll then be firing in to the back of the tv bench).

I feel like the room would look 'cleaner' with the sub in the middle, especially as the door to the room is in the right corner as you look at the tv, so the free'd up floor space of no tv bench would be nice.

Enough ranting. Has anyone here had success with a sub placed in the middle of the front wall? I know it's all subjective and down to each room etc, but would be good to know if anyone else has done similar.

Thanks all :)

I've a 16x16 room and have the av gear in left corner and sub just inside the front right speaker. The sound is seamless and lots of bass. Ive attached pic. Really works for me

Attachments

• 1372581430557.jpg
    1372581430557.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 177
I've a 16x16 room and have the av gear in left corner and sub just inside the front right speaker. The sound is seamless and lots of bass. Ive attached pic. Really works for me

Hi flash nice setup!! but have you tried angling your front main speakers in so that they cross about a foot in front of the listening position and the re run your eq/audyssey..........I think you be happily surprised.

P.S SilverP can you put up some pic's.

Hi flash nice setup!! but have you tried angling your front main speakers in so that they cross about a foot in front of the listening position and the re run your eq/audyssey..........I think you be happily surprised.

P.S SilverP can you put up some pic's.

The photo probably doesn't show it but they're toed in twenty degrees, do you recommend more?

The photo probably doesn't show it but they're toed in twenty degrees, do you recommend more?

Yes!!......They look to be around 9/10 feet apart! is your listening position around the same or less than this.

Last edited:
Yeah fronts 8-9ft apart, listening position approx 13-14ft...

Then I would move the fronts wider by a foot to 18"s a side and toe them in another 15degree's and see what you think after running eq;) also! if your ear height is higher than your centre speaker I would wedge something under it to point it up towards your head height something I've had to do as I've had to reposition my centre speaker on my bottom tv shelf......even if its by a small amount it works well:)

Cheers, widening them isn't really an option but I'm gonna toe them in a bit and rerun auto setup. With the centre, I do have two rubber feet at the front of it giving it maybe ten degrees but I agree I need more, will try something this evening before I do the auto. I'm upgrading to a 60" in the next 4-6 weeks, that'll do me for a while then! Thanks for the advice. Any pictures of your own setup?

Cheers, widening them isn't really an option but I'm gonna toe them in a bit and rerun auto setup. With the centre, I do have two rubber feet at the front of it giving it maybe ten degrees but I agree I need more, will try something this evening before I do the auto. I'm upgrading to a 60" in the next 4-6 weeks, that'll do me for a while then! Thanks for the advice. Any pictures of your own setup?

Yeah this was my diy sub build post 455 the fronts and subs have been widened about another foot than in these pic's http://www.avforums.com/forums/diy-...inking-about-building-twin-15-diy-subs-4.html

Last edited:
Cheers!! I think you should be able to push your fronts out a little wider if your prepare to move the large fabric lamp and then some more toe'ing in.......it should sound a lot better on imaging and the movement in moves across the screen like planes etc:)

He is right about getting them out a little wider, if you can get them closer to 13 feet apart then you will have a nice equilateral triangle. With towing them in I'd have the speakers firing just passed my shoulders, just make sure they don't cross over before they get to you.

He is right about getting them out a little wider, if you can get them closer to 13 feet apart then you will have a nice equilateral triangle. With towing them in I'd have the speakers firing just passed my shoulders, just make sure they don't cross over before they get to you.

Ok I may be wrong about them having to cross a foot in front of you! is that for a hifi stereo setup.
You could swap the lamp over on the right for your speaker and this will then allow you to widen your front as you already have the room on the left hand side.

Last edited:
I've given them another 12 inches either side and raised the centre up to a trajectory with my ears, ran auto set up and a definite improvement (after I increased the sub and rears slightly. Thanks for all comments:thumbup:

Last edited:
:smashin:.......................SilverPenguin7 you got those pic's yet as we don't want to hijack your thread mate.

Flash you got any new pic's.

Hello chaps, so sorry I haven't been back to the thread since! It totally slipped my mind as we've got so much work going on that the home cinema side took a back seat for a while whilst other bits where done.

I eventually pulled the TV bench forward in to the living room so I could place the sub in the middle of the front wall to listen. It sounded very good but after running several tests with a friend sitting in a second seating position we both agreed that keeping the sub in the corner had the slight edge. Whilst not visually as appealing in terms how it will look laid out, the sound is most important! So, sub in the corner and AV gear in a low bench under the tv it is.

Wiring has gone in to the partition wall today (from behind, as builders waited to re-plasterboard the other side until cables in) for the front and centre speakers and the hdmi cables. Unfortunately due to there being a door to the room in the corner, I haven't been able to put the left and right speakers too far apart as I don't want people coming in to the room knocking the right speaker on the wall as they do so! But I'm hoping it'll all look good once done. I'll put some photos up once everything is hooked back up and the wall plastered.

I also needed to think about a setup for the new open plan kitchen in the other room, but I think I'm going to go low key with that. Having a tv on the wall and in the future maybe a full 'smaller' 5.1 setup than the living room is about all - the building work has cost quite a bit so not sure my wife would appreciated even more AV boxes turning up lol

BTW, lovely setup Flash :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom