1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Placement - What am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Henry, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've just bought a new speaker system (M&Ks) and am really pleased with it. Spent some time positioning all the speakers, measuring the sound, fiddling around with the interconnects and sound levels. Just generally getting them to sound as good as I can.

The one area that I'm a bit baffled is with the sub. It's an M&K V851 and it sure as hell shakes the room. The overall effect is excellent. But I'm just not sure what I'm looking for in trying to get the sub to sound it's very best.

I'm not particularly techinally minded but am just after some idea as to what I should be looking to hear (or feel)?

2. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you set the sub and all your speakers up with a sound level meter using DVE or Avia then you should be hearing everything pretty good. After that it depends on your room acoustics and if you are still not happy you will have to get into the realms of bfd :)
    If unsure do a search on here about the dark art of sub placement and the mystery that is the bfd!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The most important part is integration as the transition from subwoofer to main speakers should be seamless and you shouldn't be able to hear the sub as a seperate entity

4. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hey Henry I see you joined the same month as me, us old stagers with few posts must have been doing other things right :devil:
    Hope you get your stuff set up right soon :smashin:

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Henry i have the v851 aswell as my mx350 and one thing they do take is quite some time to run in and loosen up but over time you do start to notice a difference in the sound it just gets alot nicer.

John :)

6. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Cheers guys. I used a sound meter and the test tone from my amp and it all seems pretty good. I can't hear the sub as a separate entity that's for sure. I posted this question because I'd realised that I wasn't even sure what a good sub should sound like.

All I know is that the overall package is awesome and a huge step up in class from what I had previously. But if it's going to sound better with time, Recruit, then bring it on!!! Not sure that the neighbours will agree!

Pollywoggle, I joined yonks ago when I was researching my last purchases but was too intimidated to post! Have been reading up loads on here and finally took the plunge to make myself heard! As for what I've been up to, that'd be telling! :blush: