sub placement - my only option - is this ok?

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not actually got this yet, but i should be getting the Energy 5.2 package shortly. The thing i am slightly worried about is the sub placement, which basically has to go in the front/right corner of the room (to the right of the right/front speaker), BUT behind an armchair. My question is, will the sound suffer because of this obstruction?

cheers

dean

Placement can sometimes dramaticaly improve the timing and depth of your subwoofer, but, if you have only one place to put it then this is how it has to be. that said in a corner can somtimes be benificial.

As for the subwoofer being to the right of your main speakers, the sub frequencies should be non directional and sound like the bass is coming from your front speakers.

Obstructions, impede bass frequencies far less due to the longer wave lengths involved so the armchair will not affect the bass.

Is this restriction aesthetic (i.e. the wife won't allow) or physical (i.e. no other place in the room) ?

Reason I ask is that I just bought the Take 5.2 on Saturday, but got around the first reason by buying the newly released (apparently) maple and silver speakers which aren't quite so obtrusive.

hi xio

its really the 2nd reason - physical - basically nowhere else to put it.

How are you getting on with your 5.2's - did you opt for the 2.2 stands? - i intend getting 2 pairs of these. Would you mind telling me where you got your 5.2's from, and how much they were?

cheers

dean

I only got the kit on Saturday, so I probably can't be too objective about it at this stage other than to say I'm very pleased with it. Also glad I went for the beech rather than black cos they look nicer ;-)

I didn't go for the stands as I'm going to be wall mounting them owing to the small person in my house for whom the temptaion of stands would be too much. The speakers come with the wall brackets included. Unfortunately I didn't manage to find anywhere to discount these speakers, so I paid full whack at Sevenoaks in Holborn (well, I got a bit of a discount for buying a Marantz SR5300 and a bunch of cabling too). The only way I found them cheaper was to import them - best I saw was $679, but you'd need to add shipping and tax if our dear customs boys got hold of them which would remove most of the difference.

Cheers
Chris

thanks for the info m8

looks like i'm going to have to pay full whack as well - again, sevenoaks.

cheers

dean

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom