Sub placement / location help

TheHighFlyingBirds

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I think I might be starting to win the war and wear the wifey down in getting a sub, i think its achievable if I can hide it. Only problem is, location is limited to one spot. This is in the corner which is fairly enclosed as shown in pics below. The space is approx 50cm x 50cm.

IMG_20191112_185519.jpg
IMG_20191112_185526.jpg

I know sub placement can take time to find a sweet spot, but unfortunately that is not a luxury I will have. The question is will it work or will it be a waste of time? I'm thinking, I can slide the left side unit away to open up the space when watching films / listening to music. Would this help?

As for subs I'm thinking a BK like gemini, double gem or xls200.

Please ignore the bookshelf speakers on top of floor standers, they are my rears which is another war I'm fighting to get them installed on the back wall.

Thanks in advance.

Subs can be a bit picky with placement, so if you're limited to that one spot, it's likely you would be restricting your sound potential. Once it's bought and in there though, you have it... then it's probably much less of a battle to relocate to a more optimum position! Being able to slide that unit to the side will almost certainly help - even being able to twist the sub 45 degrees or move it a foot can have huge impact.

If you're going with BK, I think their XLS range are available in front or down firing. Which one you go for will likely make a big difference in flexibility - down firing subs seem to be less affected by other surfaces and I find work well in corners (although I'm sure someone else will be along to explain the physics behind that!) The chaps at BK will likely be able to give you some really specific advice on it.

It also helps once the other half has had opportunity to notice the huge improvement in movie experience. Mine was reluctant to have a room full of speakers, but after playing the opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan just through the telly, then the full system to compare, she was sold... and open to more upgrades. That was just 5.1 and a few years later I'm now in the process of going 7.2.2

I can just imagine it @TheHighFlyingBirds:

You: Please can I have a Sub? Please?
Wife: No.
You: PLEASE?
Wife: No!
You: It's so unfair, you never let me have anything! (sobs)
Wife: Sigh. Oh, go on then.

I agree with the other poster: just get one in then sort out the placement and performance later. The battle is to get one in the first place, if you can then it's a result! :)

Thanks for the replies. Just need to fully convince her now then get it ordered before she can change her mind.

@7or8 my mrs hates speakers and tech generally, she would be happy with tv speakers and sd programs lol.

BK also have an ebay shop where they sell B grade stock... a good way to save £50 for something with a minor cosmetic scuff, especially as subs are often tucked away out of sight behind couches anyway.

My missus hates subs. Not so much how they look but she just doesn't like deep bass, either on music or certainly on film. So last week my eight year old REL went belly up. Perfect opportunity one would think to go and get a bigger better replacement. Then reality hit home, best get it repaired. My miniscule REL is back in place.

One day, one day.;)

My missus hates subs. Not so much how they look but she just doesn't like deep bass, either on music or certainly on film. So last week my eight year old REL went belly up. Perfect opportunity one would think to go and get a bigger better replacement. Then reality hit home, best get it repaired. My miniscule REL is back in place.

One day, one day.;)

Sorry to hear you managed to repair your REL! ;)

I read on here about guys with dual Subs or DIY Subs with terrifying bass capabilities, and I must admit that I'm kind of with your wife (not literally! :eek:).

I do like bass impact, but it also makes me feel a bit queasy if it's too long or extended? I am really happy with my Monitor Audio Gold W15 as it was so easy to set up using its own room EQ, has a 15" driver for those big bass slams, is fast so great with music, but it's not completely overwhelming.

I suppose different bass frequencies affect people differently, obviously.

There's a film I'd never want to see because of its gruesome subject matter ("Irreversible" by Gaspar Noe), but also because it features an extended sub-bass tone during the first Act with the intention of creating a nauseous effect in the viewer:

"The first thirty minutes of the film has a background noise with a frequency of 28 Hz (low frequency, almost inaudible), similar to the noise produced by an earthquake. In humans, it causes nausea, sickness and vertigo. It was a cause of people walking out of the theaters during the first part of the film. In fact, it was added with the purpose of getting this reaction." (IMDB)

On one level that's very clever and well-thought through, but on another it means that certain people might end up feeling horribly sick and that feels slightly manipulative to me.

Last edited:
Whilst it's not ideal, if the choice is a sub in that corner or no sub at all then I'd definitely go for it. It's not like it could work so badly you wouldn't notice it at all.

In case you aren't aware of them I'll just mention that SVS's ported cylinder range (PC-2000 etc) are an option for a larger volume sub that uses minimal floorspace. They cost rather more than the BK options you mentioned though.

^^^ that's a good shout. Ports are on the top too, so would be less affected by being closed in on the sides as well

^^^ that's a good shout. Ports are on the top too, so would be less affected by being closed in on the sides as well
I think the PC-2000 is rear ported actually but the rather more expensive PC-4000 is top ported as you say, as was the PC13-Ultra. The round shape of the PC-2000 would still mean more space between the port and the wall if the port faced the corner though.

I do like the look of the SVS subs, but they are a little bit too much for my modest setup. Also not needing earth shattering bass (although would like it) as film / game sessions are usually late at night, and for music I always get told to turn it down if I'm not in on my own lol.

Do the SVS subs allow for simultaneous hi level and lfe connection? As wanting the sub to connect to my integrated amp via hi level and AVR via lfe. I know the BKs (and RELs i think) allow this so I can use it easily for film and music.

Do the SVS subs allow for simultaneous hi level and lfe connection?
No, they don't, so as you have been I would look at BK subs. From your additional description I agree with you that a PC-2000 would be overkill in your case, as I expected you'd say to be honest. They're just a rather different design that many don't know about so I thought I'd at least mention them.

Do perhaps think about whether you're realistically going to benefit from a sub if you might end up being 'afraid' to have it loud enough to add much that is noticeable. Years ago I had a sub in an upstairs flat for a while but it was basically pointless as I knew if it ever really did anything that it would just annoy my neighbour below.

Buying a second hand sub that you could sell on for little loss if you found it wasn't worth it might be one option to consider?

@Ultrasonic appreciate the feedback. Fully aware of the svs subs, they are nice, maybe one day :)

Yeah its a concern, not being able to enjoy a sub fully. It will be located in a single storey extension at the back of the house, near wall furthest away from the main part of the house with doors kept shut. You reckon it would be noticeable upstairs at the front of the house? My speakers dont seem to wake anyone, but i know bass is different to higher frequencies, and it'll be the vibrations rather than noise that might disturb others.

Also what would be better, DF or FF? Thinking DF will be best to help with placement, as I wouldnt need to angle the sub into the room which would require more floor space. Another bonus is if it does find a better location the cone will be protected against small fingers and a naughty small dog.

My floor is carpet on solid floor if that makes any difference.

Sorry for questions and thanks for all the help.

Yes I think a downfiring sub would be your best option.

You reckon it would be noticeable upstairs at the front of the house? My speakers dont seem to wake anyone, but i know bass is different to higher frequencies, and it'll be the vibrations rather than noise that might disturb others.

Also what would be better, DF or FF? Thinking DF will be best to help with placement, as I wouldnt need to angle the sub into the room which would require more floor space. Another bonus is if it does find a better location the cone will be protected against small fingers and a naughty small dog.

I'd say a lot depends on what volume you listen at? Anything between -20 to -30MV would be notable in your room but not necessarily intrusive to the rest of the house.. I used to have an SVS PB12+ in a flat and never had a single complaint listening at around -20MV from neighbours below, above and to the sides..

I'd go for a DF with your limited enclosed positioning, as you might find just turning the sub upside down so it becomes 'up firing' could change the frequency response favourably (room dependent of course) :)

Last edited:
So the wifey has SUBmitted and agreed she will allow for a sub for christmas.

Now the next question is xlx200 or xxls400. The room is 3.4 x 3.6m. obviously, my heart wants the 400, but not sure if it'll be wasted given listening constraints, whilst also being more expensive and quite a bit bigger (can see comments over how big it is) and it fills the gap with not much spare room compared to the 200 (see pics). Would the 400 be too close to my speaker?

So what do you reckon is the 200 suitable for my needs or should I be be aiming for the 400? Any 200 owners out there who can comment?
400 mockup
IMG_20191214_084929.jpg

Vs
200 mock up
IMG_20191214_085007.jpg

So the wifey has SUBmitted and agreed she will allow for a sub for christmas.

Now the next question is xlx200 or xxls400. The room is 3.4 x 3.6m. obviously, my heart wants the 400, but not sure if it'll be wasted given listening constraints, whilst also being more expensive and quite a bit bigger (can see comments over how big it is) and it fills the gap with not much spare room compared to the 200 (see pics). Would the 400 be too close to my speaker?

So what do you reckon is the 200 suitable for my needs or should I be be aiming for the 400? Any 200 owners out there who can comment?
400 mockupView attachment 1232426
Vs
200 mock up
View attachment 1232427

Depends of your expectations. I would always opt for the better one as if you are thinking it now, you will surely regret not going for it at some point. The difference in price is basically nothing for long term and people tend to keep quality woofers long time so pick wisely.

P12-300SB-DF would be good option at 346£ + 10£, with same cabinet to XXLS400!

XXLS400-DF about 50£ more

XLS200-DF 297£ + 10£

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
@Gasp3621 ha ha they were the exact ones i was looking at. Only thinking bigger one as ive no idea how loud / deep they go.

Just know my mrs will be shaking her head and tutting if i get the 400.

@Gasp3621 ha ha they were the exact ones i was looking at. Only thinking bigger one as ive no idea how loud / deep they go.

Just know my mrs will be shaking her head and tutting if i get the 400.

The sub will be almost "hidden" and you are in full control of how loud you want it to play. Another option is SVS SB1000 which is probably the smallest 12" sealed sub in the market. It will cost more, but also comes newer design (class-d amp & DSP) and longer warranty. 33x33x33cm - 519£. I think BKE leaves on vacation after next week and comes back next year (2.1) so you need to make your mind soon if you want their product before christmas. :)

Well xxls400 now ordered. If I don't post here again, my mrs has killed me.

Please post back because:

1. Let us know how you get on with your new Sub.
2. Reassure us that you're still alive! ;)
Will do, cant wait getting delivered monday. Can see the mrs seeing the size of just the packing and having a fit.

Thanks to all who provided input into the thread.

Will do, cant wait getting delivered monday. Can see the mrs seeing the size of just the packing and having a fit.

Thanks to all who provided input into the thread.

Subwoofer boxes are always enormous compared to their contents; even if you'd bought a modestly-sized 8" driver model the box would still be big. And it's usually heavy too, so good luck if you're doing this by yourself!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom