1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub placement help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Rainbow6, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping to get a new receiver and a 5.1 speaker package soon. I'm looking at my room layout, and am concerned about where to put the sub. I'm sure it's probably best to put it closer to the TV source, but there's no room there. As you'll see, I'm hoping to put the receiver between the chair and the TV. Although the picture doesn't depict this, there's really not much room between the TV and either wall in the alcove. (The alcove itself is about 3 foot 4 inches by about a foot and a half or something.)
    There would be room to put the sub where I've got it in the picture, but it would be about 11 feet away from the TV and right next to the listening position.
    Is this a problem?
    Thanks.
    PS - the room is only 12x13 at its longest measurements, so the piccie may not be to scale. We've experimented with the furnature, and the only things that can be moved are the two larger sofas, though we think they are optimally placed now.

The only other thing I can think of is putting the receiver somewhere else and the sub in its place. But where to put the receiver, and how to connect it ot the DVD if its far away???

2. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooops! Forgot to attach the image. here it is:

Attached Files:

3. Mark123

Mark123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Rainbow6

I have a similar setup to yourself but my sub is where R/R is, and my R/R is in the corner where your sub is.

The advice I was given was that I should concentrate on getting the sound right on 1 of the sofas rather than compromise both.

I was also told that as bass is not directional it can be placed anywhere in the room.

Don't know if this is really the best way or not (or if the advice I was given is correct), but I have tried it and it seems to work very well. Obviously the downside of this is that you will not get as good sound on the other sofa.

Maybe someone else out there will be able to help further

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    bass is not directional, correct. but in practice a sub cannot be placed just anywhere in a room due to the nature of the acoustics of that room.

you should find that placing a sub in the middle of the longest wall of a room will yeild the poorest response, while a corner will usually yeild the strongest response. depending on the room, a corner may be too boomy at certain frequencies - you will have to try it and decide which placement sounds best to you.

from your diagram, and depending on the crossover frequency of the sub and the response of the sub, i would say that your choice of by your sofa may work, but at higher frequencies (like 60-80hz), you may notice that it is next to you. if you have the room, i would suggest locating behind the tv will give you good results.

5. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark and Chris. I'm guessing my pic is probably not to scale. The Fireplace probably comes out a bit more, creating a bit more of an alcove. And the TV and it's cabinet would probably box the sub in pretty well. Would this be a problem for putting the sub back there - would it create too much 'boom' - or is it just trial and error?
    Cheers,
    J.

6. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Rainbow6 have you decided on a speaker package yet ??? your room is more or less the same size as mine but we have a large bay window where your large sofa. I placed my sub all over the place before i got what to me was the optimum position, ike others have said bass is none directional so in theory your sub can be placed anywhere. This however is not the case, i did try my sub more or less where you are thinking to have yours. To be honest i didn't like the sound it produced, it just didn't seem to integrate into my system anywhere near as good as when i placed the sub closer to the main front speakers. I was also aware it was there, especially when viewing dvd's, it just wasn't right.
    Having a plasma wallmounted on my chimneybreast has enabled me to get my sub closer to the main speakers, not close to a chair or sofa. This sounds much better to me, i think you will have to get your sub and have a play with it before deciding where to position it.
    I reacon if you could get it behind your tv like chrisgeary suggests may be your best bet :smoke:

Having another look ,if it was me i would lose the armchair and position your tv etc more centrally to the main sofa, this would leave plenty of space for the sub and you would still have plenty of seating.

7. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If only it were that simple. I'd love that solution, but we've nowhere else to put the chair, and it simply doesn't fit anywhere else in the room. :( We bought the 3 piece suite thinking that we'd be moving into a larger house with a larger living room. Maybe in the future. We'll see.
    Thanks for the advice, though.
    As you see from my shortlist, I'm still deciding. But will make a decision v. soon.
    J.

8. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    The Yamaha - kef egg combo all the way ;)