Sub Peformance with DD/dts tracks

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dorian, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Is it true that the sub is often less active with dts tracks than Dolby Digital tracks?

I've only had my sub a couple of weeks, but it seems that the sub only seems to help out on the *real* bottom-end frequencies with dts, while on dolby the sub adds weight to a lot more sound effects.

Could it be because the 5 main dts channels are full-range so there's less activity on the LFE channel, or is it just my setup?

2. ridd

ridd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest if everything is set up correctly you shouldnt even know when the sub is or isnt working short of putting your hand near it and feeling the air displacement. Unless your demoing haunting in DTS at reference levels :)
    Also for AV its perfred by most to set all speakers to small and use a 80hz cross over although this will vary with an individuals kit.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is true that many dts tracks are mastered with a higher level of bass in them but in all other respects there should be no difference between dts and Dolby Digital as the signals are full range plus LFE on both formats.

4. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I think the only reason I notice what the sub is doing is that I've never owned one before:D It does seem to integrate pretty well with the sound.

Interesting what you say about setting all speakers to small, I'll have to try this. The front speakers are kef Q35's (floorstanders) so currently they are set to large.

Ian, at the moment it's the opposite on my setup there seems to be less bass with dts tracks!:confused:

Probably need to try a few more films, also need to wait till the neighbours are out and I can really give it a proper test.